Brewday..... Crossbreed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smod

Regular.
Reaction score
It's a Kolsch from G. Wheelers Brewing Classic European Beers at Home. I've called it Crossbreed as it's fermented ale like but then is lagered lager like.

I'm not too bothered if it's not perfect as long as it's drinkable. I thought that with the weather being cold it would be relatively straight forward to brew as it's fermented like an ale but lagered like a .. well lager.

23L OG1048 FG 1011 ABV5.0%
4200g Pale malt
750g Wheat Malt

Start of Boil
50g Hallertau (7.2%AA in book) mine is 3.9% on the bag ?? and a few months old and not kept in a fridge :shock: So adjusted and it said about 87g so chucked in the whole 100g bag take account of any AA losses :lol:

Last 15mins just Irish moss!!!

Mash at 66C for 90 mins

Add real ale yeast (I used Nottingham Danstar) and lager at 4C for 3-6weeks. I'll corny and bottle this and bung it in the garage (if I can get in there) :lol:

I thought this would be relatively straight forward with the current temps outside.

This is only my 7th AG in 3yrs :shock:

I've always got other things to do etc etc ... but was only doing a few reports from home today and decided last night that I was going to do a brew. SWMBO was at work so no excuses. :drink:

Apart from phone calls all day and having to pick the kids up from school it went OK. :thumb:

Anyone else done this or any other G.Wheeler brews?

oh good man! hallertauer for bittering :thumb:

my rauchbier had hallertauer and it was really low in AA's like yours.

be interested to see how wheat malt tastes by itself with MO.

nice one! :cool:

As Smod knows I made this 3 months ago and it is excellent :D Although my Recipe is completely different:-

20 Litres - All Grain SG 1049

4.08 Kgs. German Pilsner
454 Gms Munich Malt Germany
227 Gms. Wheat Malt Germany

30.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (60 min) Hops
50.00 gm Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (5 min) Hops 12.0 IBU

1 White Labs Geman/Kolsch WLP029 Yeast

Mash 90 mins at 65 Degrees (I did not step the mash )

Good luck with your brew :thumb:

Thanks Highwayman. Thanks all.

If it turns out well I might go and try Highwayman's recipe too. :thumb:

Just kegged it tonight.

Had a cheeky taste as it was transferring. ;)

Good work :thumb:

Right no point having empty fermenters, get a brew on old lad!

Did one today!!! :lol: :lol:

Used the hops you kindly gave me for the Exmoor Gold clone. :thumb:

Ah good!

Did those hops smell nicer ;) you must apologise to Mrs smod for my greeting to her that morning being me with my head in a bag saying hmmmmmm smells cheesy :lol:

She's used to it !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes they did smell better. Pot pourri for the others :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back