Liquid Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Landlord.
Reaction score
I recently started off a wyeast London III. I really enjoy the extra dimension liquid yeasts give my beers. I've tried a few now. Thames Valley, ESB, Ringwood and now London III. I find S04 too one dimensional in it's taste. But i still have a sachet or two in the yeast fridge for emergency's. I also use Nottingham and windsor dried yeasts.
Here's how I do it. I'm not suggesting it's the right way to do it. I'm just showing you how i do mine. Feel free to poke fun/suggest improvements to my technique.
I 'smack' the pack in the morning and leave it in a warm area for 4 hrs or so. During this time i sterilise a demijohn. I also add 200g DME to a small amount of luke warm water to dissolve. I then pour on boiling water to the 2L mark. This then gets a ten min boil and cooled down to 20C. Once it's cooled to 20C i pour it into the sterilised and well rinsed demijohn. It then gets a loose wrap of silver foil over the top to stop bugs and the like getting in. Then it's put in my fermenting room at 18C and swirled as often as i can manage over the next two to three days. After the initial fermentation has slowed down i fit an airlock and leave it to finish over the next 24-48hrs.

Once it's finished fermenting i leave it to settle out. I boil a few litre's of water and leave to cool. I also sterilise 6 x 750ml PET bottles to store my yeast in.

Here's the yeast ready to be transfered to the PET bottles

2712680629_8f96cb1856.jpg

The DJ has just had a good swirl.

This is the yeast after having a good swirl. I'll leave it to finally settle out while the PET's are being sterilised.

2712664717_eb89e8e61e.jpg

About half hour later...

2713474262_15a360267f.jpg

You can see the nice bed of yeast starting to settle now.

Finally, after an hour and so the yeast has settled completely at the bottom of the DJ. I will now give the PET bottle's a good rinse.

2712671939_06b181d659.jpg

This is a huge amount compared to what was initially poured into the DME mixture. I will happily split this into 6. :cool: 5 of which i'll use as starters for brews and one i'll use to 'grow on' another batch of this strain.

I poured off the spent DME mixture untill i was left with just the yeast sediment. I then poured in 3/4 of my cooled boiled water and shook to mix thoroughly. I then poured this into equal(ish) amounts into my 6 PET bottles. Then i added the last of the cooled water and swirled around again, pouring off the very last into the PET's and mostly topping them all up(little bit short :roll: ). I label the bottles and put them in my fridge. These will easily last 3 month's like this. :cool: :D

2713469112_027167e7f1.jpg

I love liquid yeasts :D

I've done similar but with bottle conditioned beer here

I've had good success with Brakspear, Fullers and Hopback and I imagine you can do the same thing with White Shield too

Back