Beginner - Help with leaking tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KellyBrew

Reaction score
Hi guys

Hopefully someone can help me. This is my first brew and I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm using a Coopers kit and, after following all of the directions, I can't get the tap to stop leaking. It seems the rubber inside is not long enough to seal the entire tap. Pulled too far upawards and the liquid escapes from the bottom of the tap. Pushed too far in and the liquid leaks out of the top. It's just a small drip but I can't imagine its normal.

Any suggestions?

Cheers guys

Is it the fermentation vessel thats leaking? I'm not familiar with the kit and any hardware it comes with, but usually its simplest to move the beer to a different vessel.

Is it one of the Coopers " closed " type fermenting vessels i.e. the one without an air lock fitting where the lid is able to rise and fall ?
If so they are normally very well made from good thick plastic material, and the tap is a secure sealed fitting and should not leak at all.

If it is a new kit and the tap seal is leaking I would be tempted to move the brew to a 2nd vessel while it works out.
I would then test the faulty tap with clean water and if still leaking get in touch with the shop you bought it from and ask for a replacement, either full vessel or the tap fitting.
Coopers taps are designed to push pull in and out for easy cleaning, there is a little system of plastic push type clips that hold it firmly in place, check that the tap is well inserted and clipped in.

It is one of the closed FV's with the loose lid. I don't have a 2nd FV sadly, so transferring the liquid will be a bit of a mission.

The leak is very, very small but will it affect the final quality of my beer?

Is it actually the spout it's leaking from, or where it plugs into the FV? Assuming it's the spout, maybe you could whittle down a cork to plug the spout until your ferment is done and you can address it properly?

Not ideal I know :(

Hi all,
Thanks for this discussion - found myself here for tips when preparing a barrel this morning. Now, I've only been brewing a few years, but thought sharing my experiences might contribute something to the discussion re. leaks. For me, there's 3 things:

1 - Ensure equipment is in good condition, and clean and dry before assembling. This will give the rubber rings the best chance of sealing the barrel on their own, so you need not resort to vaseline, tape, glue, chewing gum...

2 - Do NOT over tighten taps. Rely on the rubber washers and the increasing pressure in the barrel to tighten the seal. If the thread goes on an overtight tap when barrels full of beer... prepare for a beery swim.

3 - Check for leaks and check again, with water/sterilising solution, and under pressure, before filling with your magnificent ale. A few additional minutes ensuring a water tight barrel = peace of mind (particularly at this time of year, when you're making holiday plans).

Cheers! :cheers:
DJA

Back