Another 'whats left in the cupboard' ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a brew on tomorrow (only my 3rd this year!)

I was planning a simple bitter with Fuggles and EKG, but having just looked in the freezer I've found some hops I'd forgotten about. (Win.)

I don't want to go just throwing random hops in for the sake of it so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions for those more well versed in recipe design than myself.

The grain bill will be:
3.5kg Maris Otter
180g Crystal 120 EBC
which should give an SG of about 1.044 for a 20 liter batch.

The hops I have are :
Magnum, 10.9%AA
Chinook, 14.6%AA
Admiral, 13.9%AA
Cascade, 5.1% AA
EKG, 5.5%AA
Fuggles, 4.9%AA
Perle, 7%AA

There's about 10g or Cascade and Chinook, and 50g or so of everything else.
Any and all suggestions gratefully received. :thumb:

I would use the following as a base.

Magnum or Admiral to 15 IBUs at start of boil.

EKG to 15 IBUs at 30 minutes.

Then choose the flame out hops from the others to move the beer into a different direction. So one of...

Classic British - Fuggles and any remaining EKG

Citrus - Cascade, Chinook and Admiral or any remaining EKG

Floral - Perle and Cascade

....or do two 10L batches of above.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

I'd deffo go with sadfield's suggestion to use either Magnum or Admiral as a bittering hop. It's what I do ( I use Magnum), it lessens the cost/overall usage of your hops

Cheers guys. I've done a couple with both Magnum and Admiral and they've turned out pretty good.

I reckon I'm gonna go for @Sadfields citrus suggestion. I'll do a brewday post tomorrow. :grin:

Magnum, Perle and Cascade. You'll end up with something similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I was given a link to this document a few months ago on the Forum.

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

I have just finished drinking an MK of Vienna Lager that I made from the last few bits and pieces I had in the grain store before I left for France in April.

I used the Brewers Friend Recipe builder to ensure that the grain and hops I had met the criteria before I committed to the brew.

Maybe you could reverse the process. i.e. Feed in to Brewers Friend what you have and then go to the Style Guidelines and see what it will become!

With a bit of fine tuning I'm sure you will be able to produce something that you will be proud of!

Enjoy. :thumb:

How did the Vienna Lager turn out Dutto? Was brewed with Maris Otter IIRC.

I'm planning on getting a brew on tomorrow (only my 3rd this year!)

I was planning a simple bitter with Fuggles and EKG, but having just looked in the freezer I've found some hops I'd forgotten about. (Win.)

I don't want to go just throwing random hops in for the sake of it so I thought I'd ask for some suggestions for those more well versed in recipe design than myself.

The grain bill will be:
3.5kg Maris Otter
180g Crystal 120 EBC
which should give an SG of about 1.044 for a 20 liter batch.

The hops I have are :
Magnum, 10.9%AA
Chinook, 14.6%AA
Admiral, 13.9%AA
Cascade, 5.1% AA
EKG, 5.5%AA
Fuggles, 4.9%AA
Perle, 7%AA

There's about 10g or Cascade and Chinook, and 50g or so of everything else.
Any and all suggestions gratefully received. :thumb:

What about a Brains Welsh Ale Clone ? Using your Fuggles, and your Malt 3.2kg and about 500g of Crystal Malt, add 50-50 ( 65g) of the hops, there you go...lovely Welsh Ale Clone. Not very hoppy but very malty and nutty.

I am going to make it on Saturday :thumb:

How did the Vienna Lager turn out Dutto? Was brewed with Maris Otter IIRC.

Er ... it's turning out a bit too nice to be honest! :whistle: :whistle:

It was raining all day on Wednesday so "boredom drinking" finished off an MK opened on the Monday ... :whistle:

... I opened MK number two yesterday and after a couple of litres it's getting to feel a bit on the light side and not expected to see the beginning of the Tour de France tomorrow!

This is the history of Vienna Lager Batch One and it is superb:

07/17 VIENNA LAGER (BATCH ONE)
Started 13th March 2017
Youngs Lager Yeast pitched at 20 degrees.
Fermented on Heat Pad.
To MK's 6-9 and 5 bottles with 55g of sugar on 28th March 2017.
Carbonating in fridge at 20 degrees until 3rd April 2017.
Cold Crashed in Fridge at 1 Degree 2nd to 6th April 2017.
Conditioning on shelves in garage.
OG 1.048 (Just within style!)
FG 1.009
ABV 5.12%
Kcal per litre = 460Kcal
Bottles finished by 23rd June 2017. Very nice!

The hard bit is going to be keeping an MK until the middle of July in order to compare this batch with Batch Two which was lagered in the fridge for about 12 weeks and only kegged on the 15th June. :thumb:

I opened a bottle of Batch Two yesterday and although it tasted okay it had very little carbonation; which isn't all that surprising after only a couple of weeks.

So far:

a) I can recommend the Vienna Lager.

b) The cold crashing to one degree after carbonation has produced a brew that will be hard to beat.

c) For future lagers I will definitely cold crash after carbonation; but probably increase the time to seven days.

:thumb: :thumb:

Magnum, Perle and Cascade. You'll end up with something similar to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

I actually bought those hops for a Sierra Neveda clone I did a few months ago. Turned out very nice indeed.

Cheers for that link @Dutto very interesting reading.

I ended up using Admiral EKG Cascade and Chinook. It smells amazing to hopefully it'll taste as good.

What about a Brains Welsh Ale Clone ? Using your Fuggles, and your Malt 3.2kg and about 500g of Crystal Malt, add 50-50 ( 65g) of the hops, there you go...lovely Welsh Ale Clone. Not very hoppy but very malty and nutty.

I am going to make it on Saturday :thumb:

I'll have a go at this one at some point. A bit different to what I usually make, but I do like a pint of Brains. I was working down in Aberystwyth a couple of weeks ago and was gutted they didn't have it on tap!

Latest posts

Back