Caramalt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bones

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys....

Made a pale ale

93% Pale Malt
7% CARAMALT

All EKG 45 IBU

English Yeast

There is a definate caramel, burnt toffee flavour... not what i really wanted... i was hoping the Caramalt would just give some mouth feel without being over powering...

Whats your thoughts and experience of this stuff..????

Its used to give a toffee caramel taste you maybe would have been better using crystal malt and adding 100g or so of wheat malt to get the taste you wanted

Interesting - I have just got some caramalt from Rob Malt Miller for the same purpose - pale ales. I was going on the colour numbers as I have used crystal before and even a small amount gave me much more darkness than I wanted . Luckily I also got a kilo of light crystal....thoughts ?

I thought caramalt was a crystal malt, just kilned at a lower temp etc to give a lower colour. I use it in my pale ales to give a little sweetness to balance the dryness from the sugars.

I would but I have bad memories of sleeping in an ice cream hut in maidstone after a motorhead gig many years ago and am scared to go back :cry:

Latest posts

Back