Possibly a daft question(s)!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhull

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ok, im all set to go AG appart from the wort chiller.
Im going to add frozen 2lt pet bottles to the wort to chill it down from boiling to the required temp.
The boiling wort should :pray: sterilise the bottles!

So my question(s) is, How much liquer do you put in the mash tun for the first mash? and how much liquer do you sparge with?

Sorry told you it was a daft question(s)

Thanks

Andy

2.5L to the kilo of grains dont forget if your adding 2ltr bottles you will need plenty of head room in your boiler to gomensate for the water displacement

Thanks Eddie,

I have a 33lt boiller so should have plenty of room after the boil for at least 2 bottles to bob about in :cheers:

Is that also 2.5lt of sparge water to the kg of grain too?

Hi Rob,
What do you mean shrink?

Andy

By frozen PET bottles, do you mean filled with water? If not they won't do anything to chill the wort as they don't hold any mass to stay cool.

i assume there filled with frozen water you can use the calculaor section at the top of the page to work out your sparge water i usually just sparge and keep checking my wort gravity till its at the required number then hopefully i hit the right amont of wort preboil
Oh and if you do that give the wort a stir before you take a reading as the sugars will sink to the bottom and you will get an incorrect reading

Sorry, the bottles will be full of frozen water/ice, not much point otherwise :rofl:

The bottles are food/drink safe they have had coke in them. ;)

The act of freezing water causes the volume of it to expand by approx 7% (thats why pipes burst), so before the frozen bottles go into the wort the displacement you would have to take into account would be, (num of bottles x volume x 1.07) = 2x2x1.07 = 4.28 Ltrs.

Sparging is all about rinsing the sugars from the grain, are you batch or fly sparging? :wha:

Eddie

:lol: i didn't mean daft as in the bottle bit :lol:
I meant the volumes of water required ;) :cheers:

I will probably be batch sparging although i have thought about using a watering can with a fine rose on it to fly sparge!

i used a spinny sparger but ive just bought a wort sprayer off Eskimobob i fit it to my hlt then run the liqour through it over the grains and pump the wort out of the bottom into my boiler

Hmmmm, a little too in depth for a beginer like me :oops:
I'll batch sparge at first me thinks ;)

Just looked at the calculator, how do you know how much evaporation you'll get?
It says 10% is that a general average?

Latest posts

Back