top fermenting yeast NOT top fermenting* ? *edit: no krausen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsoa1111

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi guys,
for my mash/malt free beer experiment i got two different strains of yeast to put in my 5l fermentors

ones a s-05 pitched gd working a treat

the other was a wyeast propagator pack(was a out of date freebie from lhbs-made august 2011 so well past it now) anyway it was a london ale 3 defo a top fermentor- for starters came presmacked and had swollen up in the post (hence why extra malt free just had none in only some crystal and carapils to steep as had to do in a rush as part of experiment) so bunged it straight into the 5ls of stuff so same treatment as s-05...
anyway 24hrs looked dead so added some tronozymol nutrient - 36hrs in finally started to look like might go and now at 48hrs is pushing out the airlock so am chuffed something is having a go but my question is IS it MY london ale 3 (ie is behaving badly cos of rough start and upbringing or soley sugar supply?) or is it the s-05 having sneaked across while i did a bit of swirling action OR is it the s-04 i had in the fermentor previously (despite bleaching) or something else?

basically is it possible for a top fermenting yeast to not top ferment-there are also alot of hops floating about- if gets messed with sufficently or wont i know till its fermented out and compare it using the ol tastebuds???

sorry guys gonna answer my own stupid question cos someone else might be interested:
anyway from what i have researched....

all ale yeasts are top fermenting ie s-05 :oops: and a liquid ale yeast vs dry ale will look the same in same solutions...they do not always produce this krausen- i took the lack of krausen to mean that s-05 was a bottom fermenting yeast...and my london ale 3's lack of krausen to mean it had gone funny, this was big mistake one

mistake 2 was that thinking all top fermenting yeasts always produce krausen- this is incorrect it is made of proteins and the like plus yeast (think sheep contaminated streams or eggwhites- proteins = foam) As its a low malt brew few proteins = no krausen, like in a ginger beer ... anyway my bad hope, this helps someone :oops:

Latest posts

Back