Any advice for a dark wheat beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwiseman77

Landlord.
Reaction score
Want to try a dark wheat beer(would this be a Dunkel?) and looking for some advice. Was going to try an extract recipe with the following ingredients that I already have. Was going to go for

Grain:
2kg of wheat DME
1kg amber or light DME
Steep some speciality grains (i have medium crystal and chocolate malt), about 10% of grain bill

Hops:
Tettnang for hops (might just single hop but open too suggestions, I currently also have apollo, East Kent Golding, Progress and cascade).

Yeast: Danstar Munich

When I made a Weissbier I bottled straight from primary(as per advice), should I do this with a dark wheat?

Any ideas or advice guys? Hopefully pitsy reads this, he seems to be the Weizen der Guru around these parts :pray:

Hi , yes a dunkelweizen . I would use tettnang a little more than a pale say around 15/20 ibu and if poss use wlp300 its better than 380 or 352 for a dunkel .I get my dark malts using munich but you only want a small amount really but choc will work keep it around 5% though .good luck with it :thumb:

Pittsy, I knew I could rely on you for some wheat advice, top man! Right will go with the chocolate at about 5% and tettnang as per your advice. Need to order sanitiser anyway so will try get the wlp300. Should I skip racking and even a bottling bucket, just straight from FV?

Back