Is all lost?? Wine not Fermenting... UPDATE!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ange

Reaction score
Evening Chaps,

I started a couple of 4.5l demis yesterday lunchtime with my usual t-bag wine. Now I've made this wine regularly since last year, all without problem. This is the recipe:

1 box Twinings t bags (16 or 20 in box ?)
2 ltrs red grape juice
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp nutrient
1/2 t spoon tartaric acid (I used citric acid as that was what I had)
1 tsp Youngs wine yeast
Sugar to sg 1.080 or 1.090

Boil 2 ltrs of water in a large pan and switch off the heat, add the t bags and allow to infuse for about 15 minutes. Squeeze the t bags and remove – NOW ADD THE SUGAR, SO IT WILL MELT, allow the liquor to cool.

Add to the d/j the grape juice, pectolase, nutrient and acid.
Add the cooled liquor and sugar -TAKE THE SAMPLE, - until - sg 1.080 / 1.090, add the yeast or starter, cover and ferment to dry.
Once ferment has ceased stabilise and leave to clear, use finings if you prefer.

Thing is, this usually starts bubbling after about 5-7 hours - 18 hour later and... NOTHING!! Not from either of them! I'm concerned... What would you do?

Ange
x

Well!

Wait wait and wait some more. Could be a bad bag of yeast and maybe need another. if it isnt starting within 48 hours add a new packet to the dj :thumb:

Devonhomebrew said:
Wait wait and wait some more. Could be a bad bag of yeast and maybe need another. if it isnt starting within 48 hours add a new packet to the dj :thumb:

Thanks for answering! Thing is, I'm using the EXACT same stock of yeast/nutrient etc etc that I used 2 weeks ago... and no probs at all then... 8-(

Ange
x

Sanitiser properly rinsed out?
Must decently aerated (why not give it a damn good stir just in case?) ?

I sanitise with Milton but do rinse it off even though it says no rinse.

When I first put 'demis in the airing cupboard - where they ALWAYS go, within the first hour all seemed normal - there are floating bits moving up n down the demi, then starting to collect at the top - this is usually followed a few hours later by the fermentation starting. Only this time, all activity had ceased when I looked a few hours later. There's bits suspended in the liquid, but no movement. I changed the bungs and airlocks, but nothing happened. When you say 'give it a good stir' oldbloke, would a vigorous shake do it? What else should (could) I do now, please, apart from panic?

Ange
x

Wait a little bit. Heck it aint like you got 30 lbs of fresh fruit or something like that. After all it is just a couple bottles of juice and some tea bags. Don't seem worth a worry to me. If it don't start throw all five dollars worth away and start over. Mike

WELL! After a VERY sluggish 3 days and a change of airlock in both demi's, we appear to have lift-off. NOT bubbling with the gay abandon it usually does, but rather sedately - still a bubble about every 5 seconds though, so I think I'm happy with that, but the acid test will be what it tastes like when finished. Thanks for your interest, glad I didn't just pour away and start again. . . :party:

Ange
x

Just a thought but have you definately used the same grape juice as last time, have the ingredients changed or you bought the "low suger" variety or something? Might be worth checking...hope it turns out ok :thumb:

Cononthebarber said:
Just a thought but have you definately used the same grape juice as last time, have the ingredients changed or you bought the "low suger" variety or something? Might be worth checking...hope it turns out ok :thumb:

Aft'noon Conon, I use the EXACT ingredients every time (apart from different flavour tea bags of course... :) ) that's Aldi Grape juice, Aldi sugar, or cheapest I can find anyway, bottled water etc etc. Nothing changes, conon. I'm just mystified is all! Fingers crossed it works out OK.

Thanks for reply,

Ange
x

Latest posts

Back