Brewferm Triple

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So temptation got the better of me and I tried a bottle.

I bottled my brew on the 5th December and after a week in the warm it has spent the rest of the time in the garage.

I know I don't have much to go on but I am a happy bunny. The swing top bottle opened with a pop and the beer poured beautifully into a glass. There was a lovely aroma and a gentle fizz which lasted to the last drop.

The beer had an enjoyable taste and actually made me want some more.

So the up shot is, it tastes good. It doesn't taste home made and hopefully will mature over the coming weeks, although it may not last much beyond new years day.

I made this as per the instructions using brewing sugar, racked to secondary for 2 weeks in the garage and batch primed it with plain sugar.

Both the SG and FG were bang on target, which was nice as some of my previous ones hadn't been.

I tested it last night after 5 weeks in the bottle and it was superb. I imagine it'll get better too. I can't wait to try this again in a month or two's time. It seemed to be a lot more drinkable than other brewferm kits I've done after this short time.

I start this one as soon as my primary fermenter comes free. I have really high hopes for this; I'm a bit of a fan of strong Belgium beer. My only previous Brewferm, the Diabolo, went wrong when I added too much water. Still, it was perfectly good in its own right. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake again and this time turn out an 8% beer! I have a feeling this kit might become a fave; I'm really hoping so! I'll report back.

Unfortunately I see my supplier prices for Brewferm just went up 16%. Still OK priced compared to elsewhere, but shame none the less. Still, I do have this (x2) and Grand Cru (x2) bought at the cheaper prices.

Tried this last night against my better judgement. It was only started 26 Jan. Two weeks primary and ten days secondary, then two weeks in the warm in bottles and around ten days in the attic at twelve degrees. Obviously I should be more patient but an update: virtually no carbonation, poured from a height and still a little cloudy. It was smooth like an ale though and I would prefer this to be crisper in style.

Taste wise it seemed higher in alcohol than the 7% I worked out. Maybe my readings weren't accurate. It only started at 1064 and was bottled at 1012. It certainly wasn't offensive which bodes well. Tastes a bit like one of the less decent commercial triples out there, maybe a Grimbergen or something. So if it carbonates and clears I'm sure it will develop more body and flavour and I'll be happy with it. Worried I didn't add enough sugar in priming as scales not accurate.

Made this to the instructions and uses candi sugar at the start. Will give it a few more weeks until tasting again. Picture to follow. :thumb:

Need to get my **** in gear and brew one of these ready for a few tasty Christmas bottles...

:D

Had this fermenting in two demijohns with 500g of dextrose for two days at just above 20c and despite not hydrating the yeast has gone beserk, almost a fountain of Kreuz. Risked putting on an airlock this morning as it's calmed down a bit.

Golden syrup the way to go with the bottles then?

Hope I can keep this for the winter.

I have done a Brewferm Diablo & a Brewferm Framboise.
I leave mine for 12 months before I drink them.
Well worth the wait..........
Just set a Brewferm Grand Cru going last night
& have a Brewferm Pils waiting to go.

12 months.....12 MONTHS !!!!!!!:confused:
How mate,how ????
:drink: :hmm:
6-8 weeks and I'm like an inmate on release day ::razz:
Not that I would know of course lol

Last edited:
I start this one as soon as my primary fermenter comes free. I have really high hopes for this; I'm a bit of a fan of strong Belgium beer. My only previous Brewferm, the Diabolo, went wrong when I added too much water. Still, it was perfectly good in its own right. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake again and this time turn out an 8% beer! I have a feeling this kit might become a fave; I'm really hoping so! I'll report back.

Unfortunately I see my supplier prices for Brewferm just went up 16%. Still OK priced compared to elsewhere, but shame none the less. Still, I do have this (x2) and Grand Cru (x2) bought at the cheaper prices.

Did you brew this or the Grand Cru ?,apologies if I have missed any other posts as I'm on my 5th beer :drink:

Hi. I've done both, and the Diabolo. I had real high hopes for the Brewerm range as I like Belgian style, but I've been a bit disappointed in all 3 I've tried. The Diabolo was the first, and I drank too early to be honest, but it had a distinct metallic/blood flavour which only seemed to get worse as it aged. Then the Triple, which unfortunately had the same strange taste. Then for the Grand Cru I thought I'd switch from Dextrose to normal granulated sugar to see if there was any improvement. There was, but only very slightly, and time offers almost no improvement. So I'm a bit let down by these kits and won't be buying again. Plus the price went up by loads since my first purchase. Given that they are essentially a single tin brew, I find the price excessive. Yes you get an 8% brew, but the strength comes from the added sucrose, not supplied with the kit. So I can't see how they justify the price.

Hi, I'm currently fermenting Brewferm Triple but after just 7 days there is no action. I had a fair amount of Krausen which disappeared after 3-4 days, and there was never any action in my airlock (not overly worried about that, I'm assuming the gas is escaping via the lid rim somehow). Current gravity reading is 1016 which I believe is too high.

I'll wait another week before racking for secondary fermentation. My question is, will my gravity reduce any more given there appears to be no action now? I have stirred the mixture this morning in the hope of creating some action (but no joy), and the temp has been a steady 19-20 degrees.

Hi, I'm currently fermenting Brewferm Triple but after just 7 days there is no action. I had a fair amount of Krausen which disappeared after 3-4 days, and there was never any action in my airlock (not overly worried about that, I'm assuming the gas is escaping via the lid rim somehow). Current gravity reading is 1016 which I believe is too high.

I'll wait another week before racking for secondary fermentation. My question is, will my gravity reduce any more given there appears to be no action now? I have stirred the mixture this morning in the hope of creating some action (but no joy), and the temp has been a steady 19-20 degrees.

I am at the exact same stage,just stirred half hour ago :whistle:
Take it your a Tim :thumb:

Yeah I'm a Tim. Going by the 67 in your username, I'm guessing you are too?

Still no action from my FV. Going to start measuring the gravity on Saturday through to Monday and see if it stays the same.

Anyone got any thought on adding new yeast or should I just go with it as it is?

I bottled mine in june, day 3!! i tried after a month, another after a two, and after three!! now i will keep it untill christmas, as my dad's birthday its on day 24!!
I notest that every one or the most brew this with sugar or candy sugar or golden syrup.....but like every kit, should be brewed with dme, at least 50% of the adjuncts!! the final result its completly diferent, much better in my opinion!! in this case i used 500grs of dme and 150 grs of candy sugar to achieve the OG.
after three months its a nice pint, so i m ansious to try it at christmas eve with my dad!!!

Cheers

Yeah I'm a Tim. Going by the 67 in your username, I'm guessing you are too?

Still no action from my FV. Going to start measuring the gravity on Saturday through to Monday and see if it stays the same.

Anyone got any thought on adding new yeast or should I just go with it as it is?

Yep,sure am :thumb:
Hope your brew fermented out ok mate.
Cheers

Had mine in FV for 5 days so far, really looking forward to getting it primed and boxed away until xmas. Quick question though, i used 500g of light spray malt for the ferment as id seen on here it enhances the body, but the question is what priming sugar is best for this beer? The missus bakes alot so we have dark, light, demerera and normal white cane sugar.
I wont be tranfering to secondary as i dont have another 15l FV so extra time in the primary will work out just fine, it will be going into used grolsch bottles so im assuming just less than half a teaspoon per bottle will be perfect? Due to the bottles being 450ml capacity. Any help or tips for the sugar, amount and even length in primary will be very helpful for my first brewferm kit.
Cheers

I just started this using 500g candi sugar. OG was only 1064, seems a little low but at least one other in this thread had something similar. Obviously no activity just yet, I am in no rush for this one as I plan to leave it until around Christmas before drinking.

Latest posts

Back