Re: Festival Razorback IPA Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read nothing but good reviews about this kit so as its pay day I've ordered one. I'll brew up on Sunday (my usual brew day day) and report my findings.

The Coopers Stout kit will have to wait.

Well, I tried one. Had it in the primary for about 3wks, then a week in a secondary to clear out the hops and bottled it, all as per, nothing added.

The hoppy flavour comes through just like the previous kit the Stag that I did, but due to the added strength it has a lot more body, I found it more akin to Roaring Meg than Summer Lightning as a comparison. I think its the nicest beer I've made yet, and this was after bottling and keeping in the warm for a week, I put it in the garage to chill and as it looked mainly clear I tried a cheeky one. I'm going to keep this one a few months I think, might even save it for a Xmas beer as I've got an almost full Milestone something on which is OK, I've just started a Wilko 2can Golden to which I'm going to add a cascade teabag to see what that does, and I bought a Festival Landlord on the strength of the others. I'm going to be a happy hoppy brewer! But I think this IPA is going to be a bit special!!

So I cracked open a couple of these bad boys over the weekend. They had alot of sediment at the bottom but had cleared really nicely. Tastes lovely, very similar to the west coast IPA styles, good hippy aroma, great body and beautiful yellow colour. This had got better and better each week I have tried it. My father in law can't keep his hands off it. Wow, impressed.

Hahaha, dam autocorrect! Yep, I did put the finishing hops in, but I put them in my own bag. Alot easier than dealing with the sediment. :thumb:

The little filter bag that came with the kit did super job of keeping all the crud out of the syphon :hat:

Mines been in the bottle 4 weeks now, looks, smells and tastes amazing. Definitely getting another one on for Christmas. I was maybe a little hasty getting it into the bottle, the FG coming in at 1010, giving an ABV of 5.1% or so after two weeks, so the next one I will leave for another week or two, see if I can get to 5.8.
Definitely a cracking brew!

Wow!! just Wow!!! I've bottles this cheeky little number and I REALLY REALLY want to save it for as long as possible, maybe until Xmas, I'm just finishing a Milestone IPA, and I've just kegged a Wilko Golden with added Crusader hops (I think). But this blows my socks off, and my head, it's a strong 'un! Maybe I'll get SWMBO to hide a case!!

I have found this notoriously difficult to pour, I've had it in bottles and its really lively, but the yeast on the bottom is quite unstable and quickly ends up in the beer. I think its one of the best tasting beers I've done, and due to its livelyness has something of a Belgium character about it. As soon as this Wherry is finished fermenting I'll put another on, I should have enough stock in order to let it mature properly. Its been too nice and all I've had ready to go, so I've had it and now only have 5 bottles left :(

I quite agree Brewbob, it is really easy to stir up the sediment, the bottles cleared really well but i have a thin layer of sediment that is clinging to the sides of the bottle, i left mine to settle out before bottling and have managed to not have too much in the bottom.
That said, it is still a belting IPA knock the socks off the Green king IPA (tat!) i tried the other week! :hat:

Have I done something wrong as mine is incredibly bitter? To be fair I put the hop pellets in after five days but left it in the FV for two weeks so it was hopped for 12 days before bottling. Lovely peach aroma but I was hoping for something a bit special. It's so bitter it's getting towards undrinkable.

briantrousers said:
Have I done something wrong as mine is incredibly bitter? To be fair I put the hop pellets in after five days but left it in the FV for two weeks so it was hopped for 12 days before bottling. Lovely peach aroma but I was hoping for something a bit special. It's so bitter it's getting towards undrinkable.

That's roughly what I did with mine Brian, mine has a slight bitter aftertaste but nothing out of the norm, are you chilling it too cold before drinking as I found that can bring a bitterness though? :hat:

First one was chilled in fridge but second one straight out of the box in the garage. I did wonder if something had gone wrong as it fermented during the heatwave so the temps in the room were 28-30 ish. Didn't notice any sour taste though and even the tester I had whilst botttling was really good. The bitterness has come through whilst in the bottle after secondary.

Will leave it a few more weeks to see if it mellows. I recall someone saying the same thing about the Festival Landlord.

Had this bottled for 10 days so I thought I'd try one! Tasted very grapefruity. Has anyone else had this and will it mellow out at all. Its a bit too fruity for my taste.

GS :drink:

TBH mine didn't last long enough. I wanted to keep some until Xmas, but it just disappeared. It is fruity, almost Belgian like, but I like it. I've got some stock together now, so I'll knock another one thogether and stash it

Greenland Stinger said:
Had this bottled for 10 days so I thought I'd try one! Tasted very grapefruity. Has anyone else had this and will it mellow out at all. Its a bit too fruity for my taste.

GS :drink:

I've had this bottled since 12/7/13 and enjoying one as i type, it still has the grapefruity ping, so sorry old boy, no it hasn't! :hat:

Just thought I'd add my penneth.

A lot of sediment in my bottles, you have to pour very carefully and leave as much in the bottle as possible. It is also incredibly fizzy, next time I would probably half (if not more) the priming sugar in each bottle. Bitterness - it is probably one of the most bitter kits I've done so far, but it is nicely balanced out with the citrus flavours.

All in all a very good pint. :drink: Not sure if it tops the Festival Golden Stag Ale due to its lively character, its stronger in % and flavour and I will definitely be doing this again (with less priming) as I only have half a dozen left :oops:

briantrousers said:
First one was chilled in fridge but second one straight out of the box in the garage. I did wonder if something had gone wrong as it fermented during the heatwave so the temps in the room were 28-30 ish. Didn't notice any sour taste though and even the tester I had whilst botttling was really good. The bitterness has come through whilst in the bottle after secondary.

Will leave it a few more weeks to see if it mellows. I recall someone saying the same thing about the Festival Landlord.

The Lanlord definately did mellow, but took around 8 weeks to do so, by which point there wasnt much of it left to enjoy :rofl:

Had this one bottled for a week now and its clearing nicely. I ended up with a half bottle so I stuck it in the fridge for a couple of hours this evening and i've just cracked it. (patience isn't a strong point for me)

Excellent initial carbonation, nice initial head which didn't last long,currently very bitter and very grapefruity. Nice mouth feel even this early on.

This is the first brew i've bottled and it's clear the difference this has made for the carbonation and the mouth feel this gives.

I reckon this is going to be a winner. :thumb:

Had my mate round who'd brewed a batch just before me so was well placed to compare. We decided that mine had brewed at too high a temperature in the heat wave which was causing the off flavours. Still technically drinkable but not great!

Have now chucked the whole lot down the sink. On the bright side this has freed up my bottles for the Triple Tykes I currently have in the FV! Hoping for more luck with that one although seems to have stuck!!!

Latest posts

Back