Favourite book you have read...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cononthebarber

Landlord.
Reaction score
In the spirit of the other current thread running just now, I thought I would start another as above :)

My favourite book is 1984 - George Orwell, I must have read it about 20 times...

I'm currently reading Let the Right one in by John Ajvide Lindqvist, it is very good and I can't put it down! (No spoilers please as I haven't got to the end yet!) :)

1984 then Brave New World,Catch 22 & Trainspotting after is a fave combo.
Big Pratchett fan-especially the Watch/Rincewind books.
Have a deep affection for David Nobbs books (Reggie Perrin/Henry Pratt)

Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, Sophie's World.

Have to admit I'm a Dan Brown fan, and for an easy read I like Lee Child. And no-one writes a murder mystery like Agatha Christie!

Dennis

Re-read all Pratchett and Richard Brautigan regularly...

Don Delillo's "White Noise" - love it to bits

But #1 has to be Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

Did they make that into a film recently Bob?
If we are talking about the same story I saw the movie & found it bleak but moving,but worth watching.

American Psycho - Brett Easton Ellis

Trainspotting - Irvine welsh (I particularly like how it is written with a scottish accent in parts)

Any Adrian Mole Diary
Going to try "The Wasp factory" next

Without doubt "The Adventures of Goodnight & Loving" by Leslie Thomas (dont like him on the telly mind). I first read it at @ 20 years old, and totally got the whole "running away / midlife crisis" thing. 30 odd years on, and it turned out that I was "George" .... as I'd done my own running away.

If you get chance, read it. It's still "current", and very, very funny.

Jake Arnott "The Long Firm".

It's a biography of Harry Starks, a fictional gay London gangster in the 60s-70s, told from the POV of five different characters - his much-younger boyfriend, a closeted Tory peer, a thug who does Starks' dirty work, a minor starlet who relies on Starks after missing her chance for "the big time", and a naive psychology student. It captures the different relationships - and Starks' manipulations of them - really well, and is worth reading for the end of the thug's story alone.

Very tough to pick just one as I have read so many good books.
James Witham's Biography A Bit of a Do is a must read book for all motorcycle racing fans what a great life the guy has had and so witty. Also Ring of Fire by Rick Broadbent a funny look at the inside of Moto GP

Ian Rankin's Rebus series is fantastic and cant be narrowed down to just one book.

Currently reading Head Over Heels in the Dales. The third in a five book series by Gervase Phinn about his time as a Schools Inspector in the Yorkshire Dales. Very amusing and well written.

Neuromancer by William Gibson knocked me sideways in a similar way to watching the Matrix for the first time.
I'm also glad I read Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus early in my marriage ;)

I haven't read piles of books (mostly girly novels when I was younger), since then mostly Terry Pratchett, A Song of Ice and Fire and various fantasy books. The Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erikson - series of 10 books - is brilliant, it has made me breathless with laughter and crying like a baby! Gardens of the Moon is the first one, but not necessarily the best. I haven't had time to read much else yet and once it's over I won't want to read anything else :cry:

Huge Pratchett fan, 'Men at Arms' or 'Pyramids' would probably be my fav, as odd as it sounds I think Ankh Morpork would probably be my dream place to live lol.

Literary corner hey. :lol:

My favourite book is The Snow Leopard, a book by Peter Matthiessen. Its a travel book about a trek in an area of nepal usually closed to westerners back in the 70's. He teams up with Snow Leopard expert George Schaller. It is fascinating read more about Matthiessen and a spiritual journey than about the snow leopard.

Great book I must read it again.

:thumb: :thumb:

I only ever read when I go on holiday, but I love books about gangs. One of the best I've read is No Angel. It's written by a former FBI agent who went undercover and infiltrated the Hells Angels.

graysalchemy said:
Literary corner hey. :lol:

My favourite book is The Snow Leopard, a book by Peter Matthiessen. Its a travel book about a trek in an area of nepal usually closed to westerners back in the 70's. He teams up with Snow Leopard expert George Schaller. It is fascinating read more about Matthiessen and a spiritual journey than about the snow leopard.

Great book I must read it again.

:thumb: :thumb:

I recall enjoying that

I love reading, it was one thing my dad instilled in me, every Thurs he'd go, and still does to the local library. My favourite books of my youth were the Adventure series by Willard Price, two boys globe-trotting collecting animals for their uncles zoo and getting into all sorts of boys adventure stuff, and Roald Dahl of course.

Then It by Stephen King, it was such a book of my teenage years and for such a mighty tome I read it about 5x

A long term favourite is To Kill a Mockingbird, also One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest

The first three books by Louis de Berniere - The War of Don Emmanuels Nether Parts, Senor Vivo and The Coca Lord, and The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman are fantastic!

This year I would highly recommend The 100yr Old Man Who Jumped Out Of The Window And Disappeared

+1 for Terry pratchet
+1 for The road
+1 for Stephen king's It
And for any sci fi fans, The forever war by Joe Haldeman is epic!

Mines the book thief by Markus Zusak followed closely by the good guy by Dean Koontz.

Back