Stuck fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilly_willy

Reaction score
I started brewing a geordie winter warmer 10 days ago, OG of 1036, the last 3 days its been at 1010... I think the room the fermenter is in might have got down to 16 degrees, and there's no activity on the top of the brew... No bubbles etc.... the instructions do say to ferment at 20 degrees, I can't bottle til I'm down to 1005 for a few days, is there a way to get the yeast going again at all? Or can I bottle in a few days if in remains at 1010? I'm a bit stuck like the fermentation...

I have just started a similar post with nearly same question. I put a 16W sample underfloor heating tile under my fermentor and a jacket around the fermentor as well. Within an hour the activity has doubled although temperature still shows at 16 degs C. The stick on temperature strip is half way up and clearly the heater is at the bottom so likely it will take some time to show on the strip.

I have noticed the fermenting does produce heat so with the other brew on the go I have just put a body warmer on it, and will monitor to see if it produces enough heat without the heated tile.

After putting the heater under the slow brew the temperature has risen from 16 to 18 degs C and bubbles increased one every 60 seconds to one every 20 seconds.

The other brew in a earlier stage has risen in temperature just by putting a body warmer around it. Neither are sitting on the floor both on stools so ground is not taking the heat away.

I have found I need some sealant should be petroleum jelly, but if not handy I use butter to seal the bung with the air lock in as when near end slightest leak stops it bubbling. So I expect yours has just slowed down not stopped? Unfortunately about to go away for few days so can't report further on how mine is going. I wanted to bottle before I left but clearly now will have to be when I get back.

Hmm, I've got an electric blanket so I've put that under my FV, and wrapped it in a blanket. I don't have an airlock, my FV is a youngs one, so I think it self vents... So I can't tell if there has been an immediate rise in activity. I tend to peel back the FV lid and look for bubbles rising... 2 hrs in and not much increase...

I haven't got a thermometer stuck to the side of the vessel either, but I use a digital baby's room thermometer, I figure if the air temp is 16 degrees, the wort must be..

I'm hoping its just slowed.... I'll leave it like this for a few days and re-do hydro readings.... Fingers tossed :pray:

Yes warming it up to 20c should get it going again. It may take a while to warm up as 23lt of liquid has a reasonable thermal mass, but it should be fine.

Gilly_willy said:
...Or can I bottle in a few days if in remains at 1010?
I don't think 1.010 is stuck, I suspect it might have finished. I also suspect your OG measurement may have been a little low, probably 'cos it wasn't mixed together completely, though this isn't an issue. Leave your brew for 10-14 days since you started and bottle. It'll be fine.

If its a kit then just use the SG in the instructions as that will be correct if mixed with the instructed amount of water.

Then trust your own reading for FG and if its been at 1.010 for a few days then its prob finished.

Yes it was a kit... I did brew it a little short at 20 litres but did expect it to still get down to the target of 1005 as in the instructions.... Being a winter warmer i was hoping it might have finished a little higher in ABV, my online calculator reckons it about 3.8%... never mind, today will be the 4th day at 1.010 so I guess we're good to bottle... Gonna try batch priming into another bucket before syphon one into my bottles/ pressure barrel :pray:

have u checked the hydrometer in a glass of water to check it reads 1.0000, i had one a while back that got knocked or perhaps cleaned in too hot a liquid and the paper tube gradient slipped in the glass, i waited for an extra fortnight for me beer finish before i cottoned on.

I covered my brew and went on holiday for three days no heater as not really something I want to leave unattended but temperature rose by 2 degrees to 18 degrees and on return one bubble every 20 seconds. Now at home used a under floor heating tile at 18W and temperature risen to 22ºC and activity has increased with one bubble every 20 seconds and S.G. has now dropped to 0.006 with plainly still plenty of activity. At this rate I reckon on Sunday before ready to bottle.

As to if your brew is the same I really don't know. I use screw cap bottles ex-fortified wine and I have come to some bottled in spring with lose caps and no pressure I will guess I bottled too early and it forced the cap off releasing pressure at least did not bust the bottle. I have also lost corks in my shed so it would seem I have been bottling too early.

Well, today is day six at 1.010... I've tried a couple of your ideas warming it up and checking my hydrometer... The increased warmth has had no effect so I guess we're defo done fermenting.. Hydrometer is bob on at 20 degrees. Hope I've not bottled too early, don't want to loose a batch (or even part of one) with no pressure! Waste beer- aaaaarrrggghhh!!!! It been 16 days in the primary FV so I'm thinking all will be ok.... Time will tell...

With nearly same problems I am very interested in results. Mine now 18 days in fermentor and the hydrometer reading has gone up from 0.006 to 0.010 over 6 days however temperature has also gone up. Photos were taken of hydrometer so was not bad reading so two things which could account for it. One is the temperature the other is bubbles in the sample. I remember reading on how a Bermuda triangle boat sinking was blamed on gas release so bubbles could very well effect readings.

10 days in the fermentor is quite common but other than Ginger beer never had one in the fermentor so long. OK only been doing it since January and to start with I had no hydrometer, temp strip, or air lock so would have been unaware of any problems. As yet all been very drinkable. I did find needed at least 3 weeks in the shed before drinking. In Winter would leave bottles in kitchen for a week before taking to shed.

I have had one or two odd bottles which were marked better or worse, which I have blamed on either selecting out of order or poorly cleaned out bottles. One bottle which had contained orange cordial gave me a really nice bottle but trying to add orange cordial to the other bottles did not have same result.

Like you I just don't know if I should bottle or not. Think I will use plastic pop bottles as I can test the pressure in them without opening. May leave it one more day.

Bubbles do affect the reading if they stick to the side if the hydrometer. It's recommended to give the hydrometer a spin to shake them loose. Bubbles stuck to the hydrometer will cause it to over-read by giving it more buoyancy.

Latest posts

Back