(Another) Stuck Fermentation Thread - Reassurance Needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
Happy Christmas everyone :cheers:

On Saturday, I made a 30 ltr batch of AG London Pride clone, which all went very smoothly (using my new Raspberry Pi powered HLT/Boiler controller which I designed).

I didn't have any yeast in packets, but when I transferred by last batch to bottles (two weeks earlier), I kept back some of the trub from the bottom of the fermenter, and kept it in the fridge. So I used this as my yeast source (which I have done before with good results).

The start-off was very slow, and it took about a day and a half for the cake to form on the top of the beer, however, it took even longer for the airlock activity to start. Essentially, it only started bubbling after 3 days, and that was triggered by my moving the FV to a slighly warmer part of the utility room. However, it has stopped again overnight, and there has not been any signs of the normal prolific bubbling.

So, 4.5 days into the fermentation, should I be intervening? I was thinking of putting a little fan heater next to the FV to increase the local temperatuer a bit, or giving it a stir. Or should I just leave well alone for a couple of days more? :wha:

Thanks

Robbo100

I think it is tradition for the first reply to a "Stuck fermentation" post to ask something along the lines of "have you taken a sample gravity reading?"

Good question - no, I haven't :-)

I have put a little heater next to the fermenter, and it is off to the races again. I probably should have just tried that before posting!

Sounds good, but remember that it may bubble a little initially due to the heating/expansion inside the FV rather than fermentation activity.

Good luck with it!

Thanks mate. Good point.

I seems to be bubbling away normally now (once every 10 Seconds).

Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back