cleaning demijohns...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazypara3165

Regular.
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section....

Ive aquired a few demijihns but some have a few years of residue in the botom. Whats the best way to go about cleaning them?

krazypara3165 said:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section....

Ive aquired a few demijihns but some have a few years of residue in the botom. Whats the best way to go about cleaning them?

If you have a steam gun it would get it off straight away. - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-Handheld- ... =steam+gun
Failing that the next best thing might be a pressure washer.
When i clean bottles with residue in the bottom i put a few tiny stones in there with a little bit of water and shake. Not sure if this would work with a demijohn though.
But the best thing you can do to start with is let them soak with hot soapy water.
Hope this helps :cheers:
Jacob

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot soapy water and half a cup of uncooked rice, give them a good shake but be careful as they may slip out of your hand.

Also try some oxiclean as that lifts residue off really easily, it's what I used when I got a load of second hand bottles and was effortless :thumb:

To my knowledge demijohns dont lime high temps? That would rule the steamer out...... but ill start off with some good old soapy water and go from there!

All my DJs came ooff someone that had kept them outside for years so they was filthy. A soak in warm oxy got them like new very easily.

Hot soapy water soak and rinse. Then fill with vwp and leave overnight. Rinse with cold fresh water. Job done.

I bought some second hand ones and cleaned them up and used them a few times... Then got some oxy clean and they sparkled like never before! Rice works well also with the really tricky residue.

Don't spend a fortune on the oxi, cheap stuff from the likes of pound land is perfectly fine.

Heres a twist with a rough idea of how long they may of been standing.... one of the boxes cintained a near full boots wine brewing kit box complete with six wine bottles instructions and consumables........ the sell by date was 1989!!!!!!!

krazypara3165 said:
Heres a twist with a rough idea of how long they may of been standing.... one of the boxes cintained a near full boots wine brewing kit box complete with six wine bottles instructions and consumables........ the sell by date was 1989!!!!!!!

I have a DJ which I inherited from my father in law. There is a sticker on it which says "Marrow wine 1984".

He can confirm that this was the last time it was used as well as he was fastidious about keeping records and removing old labels.

haha its gone in a drawer! but once I am familiar with the entire process (i only started my first batch last week) i may attempt to put it onlater on in the year to give a rough comparison on how far wine kits have come along over the years (if it actually works!!!)

Cheers gents! I filled them with soapy water overnight and then after picking up some oxi today whacked some of that in for a few hours and they are all gleaming!

I bought a plastic handled demi john brush. It wasn't the best bit of kit and the plastic handle snapped off leaving the twisted metal wire shaft. This turned it into the best demi john cleaner as now I fit it into my Bosch cordless drill fill the DJ up with warm water and some bicarb. less 2 minutes of drilling and they sparkle (even crusty old ones I got from the charity shop.

Latest posts

Back