40 pints one tin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ceryni

Newbie cheapskate
Reaction score
Probably a misleading title, but I noticed the 1.5kg one tin kits are the same weight as each tin in the two tin kits, for the same 40pint volume.

I've moved onto a narrow boat and so I am very, very short on space. If I bought a 20 pint bin, which is tiny, in comparison, and brewed a one tin kit to 20 pints, I gather the only change is that it will probably be twice as hoppy.

Would this work?

I too live on a narrowboat albeit a seventy footer but I don't brew on-board. Now that would be recipe for disaster.

I have a dedicated small brew shed but currently use the boat for fv's. Brew fridge coming as winter will soon be upon us and flood gets a bit cold for the fv.

I've met a boater that doesn't have any problems brewing on board, in fact they earned a living from it. why do you think it would be a disaster?

My dad is trying a 40 pint tin of pilsner brewed to 20 pints so we shall see if it's too bitter.
I really do like bitter beers so might enjoy them this way. I find a lot of kits quite bland and boring.

Would make sound economic sense to brew one tin out of a two tin kit though. Then I could afford to buy a few kits I initially ruled out

You can always add bitterness by boiling some hops. And you could stretch a one can to 25 or 30 punts by adding dme, brew enhancer or sugar.

Probably a misleading title, but I noticed the 1.5kg one tin kits are the same weight as each tin in the two tin kits, for the same 40pint volume.

I've moved onto a narrow boat and so I am very, very short on space. If I bought a 20 pint bin, which is tiny, in comparison, and brewed a one tin kit to 20 pints, I gather the only change is that it will probably be twice as hoppy.

Would this work?

If you're reducing a one can kit down to 20 pints, you might want to watch this. He also has a review video on the brew, drinking it after... just 7 days! Bottom line is you need to choose low bitterness kits (lager & draught being the lowest):

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNXU-WAQ3p0[/ame]

I know almost nothing about narrow boats but I remember reading a post on a forum where a narrow boat brewer would tow his FV (it was more a no chill cube than a FV with a lid) behind his boat to chill the wort down in the canal

I know almost nothing about narrow boats but I remember reading a post on a forum where a narrow boat brewer would tow his FV (it was more a no chill cube than a FV with a lid) behind his boat to chill the wort down in the canal

Now that's what I call a wort chiller. I live near a canal, so forget the copper coil, I'm going for a barge.

I'm not sure that I would risk even a drop of canal water in my brew knowing what goes into the canal

I've met a boater that doesn't have any problems brewing on board, in fact they earned a living from it. why do you think it would be a disaster?.

I also know a boater who keeps pigs in his boat but I wouldn't do it myself.

I'm not sure that I would risk even a drop of canal water in my brew knowing what goes into the canal

I also know a boater who keeps pigs in his boat but I wouldn't do it myself.
I too live on a narrowboat albeit a seventy footer but I don't brew on-board. Now that would be recipe for disaster.

I have a dedicated small brew shed but currently use the boat for fv's. Brew fridge coming as winter will soon be upon us and flood gets a bit cold for the fv.

Question professionally avoided there.

I'm planning on brewing on a canal boat so still awaiting why you think that is a bad idea.

Pigs, now that's odd

For one thing, any large spillages will end up in the bilges and I don't want any surgery solution down there for what it may attract.

Also, the space is small and not conducive to making large quantities of any liquid.

However you can brew wherever you like.

I lived on a boat for many years
My two daughters were born on board
It's a great way to live

For one thing, any large spillages will end up in the bilges and I don't want any surgery solution down there for what it may attract.

Also, the space is small and not conducive to making large quantities of any liquid.

However you can brew wherever you like.

I can understand your concerns, but not the bilges part honestly. The only liquid that goes into the bilges on my boat is water that falls into the engine bay, drips from the prop or from my slightly leaky weed-hatch that needs sorting at some point.

If you're talking about where it might go if you spilled a whole 10 litre bucket on board, well you'd have the same problem in a house. I never have, and don't intend to drop a whole brew on the floor. As for surgery solution..?? what?

Space is indeed a problem, hence why I want to do little 10 litre brews, and only have one bucket to do it with. Then I'll only need 4-5 2 litre plastic bottles to bottle with like I normally do.

Eventually a dedicated brew space might be possible.

Obviously you have a bilge pump in the engine bay, not engine drip tray 😂 As I did
But I also ffitted one by the back steeps/living area with a BIG strainer that way I could wash down floor board etc also bath shower splashes become no problem
It's a great live on a boat I so miss it

Obviously you have a bilge pump in the engine bay, not engine drip tray ������ As I did
But I also ffitted one by the back steeps/living area with a BIG strainer that way I could wash down floor board etc also bath shower splashes become no problem
It's a great live on a boat I so miss it

I have an engine drip tray too, but I'm not going to be putting beer near my engine bay.

As for floor boards i think I have a very differently outfitted internal living area.
For example I have a large shower tray and a drain like a normal house show, but it has a pump so it can pump the shower water out.

I had a whale gusher for bath/shower, almost Inposable to block
I also had a long haired German Shepard so only floor boards
But a real Beaty off a boat I ripped it all out and refitted it my self
I've had yachts power boats etc I'am just boat mad
If had been in to home brew at the time I would bun it

Latest posts

Back