14 Units.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes reading the articles itself does seem less in your face about it..

I think like most things in life, if you're sensible about it and don't do it to death and balance things out you do not need to worry about it. It is a choice though..

The media loves to take any sort of news and present it in such a way that it winds people up. They have perfected it. Why let facts and considered thought get in the way of a controversial story?

I'd like to see the stats. There will probably be a graph showing consumption v. life expectancy which is probably a straight line. In other words the guidance will be of major importance to the ones who are least likely to take any notice as they are probably dependent on alcohol and the people who will take it seriously will be at the lower end of the scale.

Reminds me of a story about a nurse asking a patient what their weekly consumption was in units. When the patient paused the nurse said "It's OK, you don't need to be a doctor to be able to multiply by two" :-)

I doubt if the graph will show a straight line, this type of absolute linear correlation would only happen where everyone who drinks then is killed by alcohol. Taking into account lifestyle, metabolism etc explains why the risk is 1 in 100 and therefore unlikely to be a 99%+ correlation. Any two or three points can be made to look linear by drawing a line of best fit through them.

I doubt if the graph will show a straight line, this type of absolute linear correlation would only happen where everyone who drinks then is killed by alcohol. Taking into account lifestyle, metabolism etc explains why the risk is 1 in 100 and therefore unlikely to be a 99%+ correlation. Any two or three points can be made to look linear by drawing a line of best fit through them.

Page 17 of the Report I've linked to. It's all there for your information. Read and make your own conclusions..

Halfacrem
Looked at page 17 and as I said any two points will make a straight line. Yes they are all straight lines but you do not see the scatter of data points to show the closeness of fit of correlation to the straight line. These are very simplistic plots to indicate a direct relationship but it is impossible to assess to what extent from the data shown.

Halfacrem
Looked at page 17 and as I said any two points will make a straight line. Yes they are all straight lines but you do not see the scatter of data points to show the closeness of fit of correlation to the straight line. These are very simplistic plots to indicate a direct relationship but it is impossible to assess to what extent from the data shown.

I'm not vouching for any of the information in the report, rather pointing out where it can be found.

Halfacrem.
I was not getting at you just making the point that statistics and graphs can be made to show anything until you see the detail beneath them, in this case it is not there and a straight line in itself proves nothing without it.

Anyway my decision after all this nonsense is not to drink until the next time I fancy one and then I might have another!

Halfacrem.
I was not getting at you just making the point that statistics and graphs can be made to show anything until you see the detail beneath them, in this case it is not there and a straight line in itself proves nothing without it.

Anyway my decision after all this nonsense is not to drink until the next time I fancy one and then I might have another!

No offence taken or suspected :-) All good debate.

For years we were told we should eat 5 a day, recently we were told you dont need to eat 5 a day just eat healthily, its the same with red wine, they said it had health benefits now they are saying all alcohol is going to increase you chances of dying early.

For years we were told we should eat 5 a day, recently we were told you dont need to eat 5 a day just eat healthily, its the same with red wine, they said it had health benefits now they are saying all alcohol is going to increase you chances of dying early.

Yes but different people have said those things. The five a day thing was to encourage better eating habits. Its not ridiculous, it makes sense. The fact that alcohol is a poison has never changed. The latest guidance is that the negative effects of alcohol out weigh the benefits.

And it's a guideline. We are all responsible for ourselves. You wont be arrested for drinking more. Have nights off, and don't drink too much at once, if you care about your physical health. If you don't care, drink more. It's up to you. That's how I see it, I don't feel threatened or confused by it. And it's not an exact science, they are setting guidelines designed to inform and motivate people to look after themselves.

I think it is a number plucked out of the air

When you read articles they say what they thought was good advice may not be as strong as once thought, you look at other countries their experts all say completeley different things, Denmark and Spain have much higher limits.. just sounds like BS to me

If you have any kind of fun, it will kill you.

I thought BS as the limits are higher elsewhere, then I thought THERE IS NO SAFE LEVEL OF CONSUMPTION of FOSTERS! - lol maybe generally the c**p often served in the UK is dangerous.

Yes but different people have said those things. The five a day thing was to encourage better eating habits. Its not ridiculous, it makes sense. The fact that alcohol is a poison has never changed. The latest guidance is that the negative effects of alcohol out weigh the benefits.

And it's a guideline. We are all responsible for ourselves. You wont be arrested for drinking more. Have nights off, and don't drink too much at once, if you care about your physical health. If you don't care, drink more. It's up to you. That's how I see it, I don't feel threatened or confused by it. And it's not an exact science, they are setting guidelines designed to inform and motivate people to look after themselves.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMkuPiIZ2k[/ame]

I never trust government advice.

Especially the green cross code man. Total douchebag with his 'stop, look, listen' drivel.

Just walk, kids!

I know i shouldn't but i couldn't resist........

at7777777777777.JPG

I was thinking about this earlier and I did think since we are a HB forum, perhaps it is also a good way to also see it as what you do drink from a health point of view we as home brewers are much more in control.

There are a lot of mass produced beers out there which to me can taste a bit chemically for example, you never know what goes into these drinks.. at least with HB and especially the more from scratch methods you apply you have a degree of control and can be confident what you make is at least somewhat clean.

I find I drink less, which surprised me in the beginning. If I go for a night out, I 'make the most of it' shall we say. But when I have plentiful stock, such as now, I find I'll have one when I fancy one, and I won't when I don't. Still got two kegs from September! Mind you, tonight I fancy one, and I think the next couple of months quota is about to go up in smoke.....

Back