14 Units.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was also mentioned that drinking 14 units a week is a risky as driving, so if I give up driving I can double my units and still have the same overall risk. :lol:

Also some of the risk of harm includes injuries because you have been drinking.

:doh:

Great debate, one thing I've noticed is that the report is highlighted by the press on the first working Friday of the so called "dry January". Are we being somewhat being manipulated here by our scaremongering and sensationalist press do you think?

That's the problem with these reports where recommendations are guessed as safe, these "guidelines" soon become hard and fast limits and are then used by the government to impose minimum price or increased taxes because of NHS shortfalls.
By all means publish the report, point out where the numbers come from (not just guesses and asumptions please) and then leave it up to everyone without trying to manipulate people's lives or raising money from it

So who here actually follows these guidelines?

Some people (like myself) aren't bothered in the slightest by them as I don't tally up my drinks each week to make sure I'm in the limit, the 'limit' never ever comes to mind. I drink when I want to drink.

Others seem enraged when information comes out advising people not to excessively drink, which I'd say is a fair thing to advise to be honest, but then they too don't follow the guidelines. So why does it matter?

It's not law, it's just Government health advice.

So who here actually follows these guidelines?

Some people (like myself) aren't bothered in the slightest by them as I don't tally up my drinks each week to make sure I'm in the limit, the 'limit' never ever comes to mind. I drink when I want to drink.

Others seem enraged when information comes out advising people not to excessively drink, which I'd say is a fair thing to advise to be honest, but then they too don't follow the guidelines. So why does it matter?

It's not law, it's just Government health advice.

I dont follow the guidlines, I've kept a spreadsheet of what I drink going back to 2001 so there will at least be some concrete evidence to base consumption vs health in the future ;-)

I've always not drank on monday-wednesday expect for xmas & bank holidays so I've always had 1/2 a week on 1/2 a week off. Plus I've never had a hangover even on a very rare 80 unit week. If I felt bad because of my consumption or put on weight i'd cut down.....

speaking of which I reckon I do need to get my weekly consumption down to 35 units a week :whistle:

My plan here is to brew more beer , but at a lower ABV.

A spreadsheet, that's impressive! Are you planning to live to a ripe old age and then say to the Government "Add that lot up mate"?

Agree with your comments as I don't count I just drink but not to excess, life's too short for counting, if I start with beer it would be bacon next then cheese, and there are only so many spreadsheets I could update every day.

Everything in moderation, especially statistics and guidelines!

Back