Anyone brew in the shed??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spook123_uk

Reaction score
Hi all, I currently do my ag brews in the kitchen with my hlt / kettle under the extractor fan.
I'm installing a new shed / workshop soon to replace my falling down old garage and am thinking of having the kit permanently set up in there.
I'm wondering what experience any of you have with doing this and ventilation? Especially the effects of heating water and boiling on the wooden structure?

I was thinking I could fit an extractor and maybe some kind of a good and Pipe to it but would like to hear from someone doing it too!

Thanks
Rich

I use the shed, with a propane burner. It's a 10x7 shed and I leave the double doors open while I'm brewing. I try not to stay in there too long while the burner is on.

But I wouldn't imagine you'd need to install ventilation. Photo gives you an idea of how much space I have. Not much with all the other **** in my shed!

Edit: doh, sideways photo...

image.jpg

I do most of my brewing under my car port or just inside my garage. In colder months I put two sleeping bags around the mash tun instead of one.

I soon moved out of the kitchen when I got my 2.5KW boiler. The place was like an old railway station back in teh day when steam was the rage. I brew with the door open and all the steam just blows out of the door albeit that there is a fair bit of condensed water gathering as drops over the top of the boiler. I find the shed ideal for cleaning up after wards. I just go in with a hose and a broom and swill the place out, then let it air off with the door open for a while afterwards - usually overnight. It works for me and as long as the shed is aired off it can have no impact on teh life of the thing, assuming you have a proper wood floor and not a chipboard floor (if you are intending to swill it out like I do.).

I use the shed, with a propane burner. It's a 10x7 shed and I leave the double doors open while I'm brewing. I try not to stay in there too long while the burner is on.

But I wouldn't imagine you'd need to install ventilation. Photo gives you an idea of how much space I have. Not much with all the other **** in my shed!

Edit: doh, sideways photo...

Your setup looks similar to mine, except I don't have a multicoloured table with stickers :-(

IMO your beer will improve no end if you get the stickers :lol:
I'am to thinking of where to bo my first ag
In the open
Or in the shed

IMO your beer will improve no end if you get the stickers :lol:
I'am to thinking of where to bo my first ag
In the open
Or in the shed

I just use my cooker but other forumites have said, who use a burner, it can be nearly impossible to get the wort up to a rolling boil outsitde (especially on a windy day) and so brew in the garage with as much ventilation as possible

I just use my cooker but other forumites have said, who use a burner, it can be nearly impossible to get the wort up to a rolling boil outsitde (especially on a windy day) and so brew in the garage with as much ventilation as possible

I did think of using my cooker
Looks like a little big lo

image.jpg

Thanks all. It's a 2 x 2.2KW electric setup anyway so no issues with fumes!

It's tempting to whack an extractor on the wall next to the boiler then keep the doors open too. As long as I let it air out afterwards, it should be fine.

There will be no chipboard.. All OSB floors etc.

You haven't lived if you haven't brewed with stickers. I find My Little Pony adds more depth, while Disney Princess contribute to mouthfeel. Haven't tried Panini football ones yet.

I need to get some heavy rock stickers for my first big stout
Would you recomend black sabbath or ac dc for adv/head retention

You haven't lived if you haven't brewed with stickers. I find My Little Pony adds more depth, while Disney Princess contribute to mouthfeel. Haven't tried Panini football ones yet.

I was in Munich this week for a warehouse excellence audit. I arrived and took my laptop out of my case whilst talking to another one of the delegates, not paying attention to what I was doing. A few of them started to laugh, so I turned round to see what was funny.... I was, Morgan (my daughter) had left me a present in the form of an Elsa sticker and a twilight sparkle sticker on the top of my laptop.

It did see to perform better, now you mention it...

I need to get some heavy rock stickers for my first big stout
Would you recomend black sabbath or ac dc for adv/head retention

Not sure, but definitely Faith No More (circa 1992) for smooth bittering.

Edit: what on earth are we on about

Latest posts

Back