"Wort" , how do you pronounce it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaa'm a Geordie man, so Ah pronoonce ivrything wrang man. Ya bugga....

I'm a Cuddy, meself.

Wort = beor
Trub = bottom sh**e
Krausen = top sh**e

That's aal ye need te knaa aboot Geordie brewing.

Aa divven knar wot aal the fuss is aboot. Wen ya mekkin beear, yiv got that frothy heed on turp an yiv got aal that morky sh*te doon at the hint end of yer bucket. Aa nivvar hord aal these fancy wards doon Whitley.

Aa divven knar wot aal the fuss is aboot. Wen ya mekkin beear, yiv got that frothy heed on turp an yiv got aal that morky sh*te doon at the hint end of yer bucket. Aa nivvar hord aal these fancy wards doon Whitley.

Weor reet in the claarts now bonny lad as nen of this lot can speak propa like wot us can!
Reminds me of a joke!

Geordie goes to the doctor and says "I've hort me leg Doc"

Doc says " well can you walk my man?"
Geordie replies "Woork, I cannit even waalk,man!!

Wort as in dirt for me!

Weor reet in the claarts now bonny lad as nen of this lot can speak propa like wot us can!
Reminds me of a joke!

Geordie goes to the doctor and says "I've hort me leg Doc"

Doc says " well can you walk my man?"
Geordie replies "Woork, I cannit even waalk,man!!

Wort as in dirt for me!

The dialect of the North East owes a great deal to the Danish settlers who came here in the fifth century and the rather isolated geographical position preserving elements of the ancient Angle language they spoke. Lots of our dialect words find a direct analogue in Swedish and Danish, as I have discovered while watching scandy noire dramas on TV. It isn't at all unusual to get a whole sentence of geordie in the Swedish dialogue. One of the funniest was when Saga Norren, the autistic detective says to her colleague urgently 'Cum noo', indicating he was to come right away. She also says 'O-ha' all the time just like my Geordie granny and her friends did, and she uses it in exactly the same way, as a sort of affirming utterance when someone else is speaking. Bjarne, for bairn, yaem for home, and laeren for teach. On this last one, I used to think it was a grammatical error made by ignorant folk when they said, He'll learn ya, but it isn't. Laeren is Swede for teach. Geordie is one of the oldest dialects widely spoken in this country and it is a lot nearer to the original form of English than most.

Tony
I also noticed the the similarity with Geordie in the Bridge, another is oot (ud)for out, almost didn't have to read the subtitles.
I think most people on here would have a hard time understanding my granny as I barely understood here when she was alive (died in 1964)

Mind them danish are not that famous for their beers are they? ( apart from Carlsberg and inventing commercial yeast that is!)

Tony
I also noticed the the similarity with Geordie in the Bridge, another is oot for out, almost didn't have to read the subtitles.
I think most people on here would have a hard time understanding my granny as I barely understood here when she was alive (died in 1964)

Mind them danish are not that famous for their beers are they? ( apart from Carlsberg and inventing commercial yeast that is!)

That kind of heavy Geordie with lots of dialect words and not just an accent is dying out I think. I suppose it is bound to happen when you have a centralised mass media and TV. unique languages and dialects only survive if the people are isolated from other influences and now that isn't the situation. To be honest it hasn't been for a couple of generations. In our grannies time, (mine was born in 1898) they grew up without any broadcast media so all they heard was the language of the people around them and that went back all the way to the Angles landing along the Tyne and being given land here and in Tynedale as recompense for acting as mercenaries against the Scots by Vortigern in the fifth century.

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/GeordieOrigins.html

That kind of heavy Geordie with lots of dialect words and not just an accent is dying out I think. I suppose it is bound to happen when you have a centralised mass media and TV. unique languages and dialects only survive if the people are isolated from other influences and now that isn't the situation. To be honest it hasn't been for a couple of generations. In our grannies time, (mine was born in 1898) they grew up without any broadcast media so all they heard was the language of the people around them and that went back all the way to the Angles landing along the Tyne and being given land here and in Tynedale as recompense for acting as mercenaries against the Scots by Vortigern in the fifth century.

http://www.englandsnortheast.co.uk/GeordieOrigins.html

My granny was born in Benwell round about the same time and went through two World wars with the Garmans bombing the Armstrong factory in Scotswood. Made of strong stuff.
Thanks for the link will look it up later

My granny was born in Benwell round about the same time and went through two World wars with the Garmans bombing the Armstrong factory in Scotswood. Made of strong stuff.
Thanks for the link will look it up later

Yes - yours are the same vintage as mine. Born in 1896 and 1898, lived as young folk in Shieldfield, but born in the All saints area in housing that hasn't been there since WW2. Grandfather was shot on the Somme in July 1916, survived and got married. They both had incredibly broad accents which my mother was keen that we not copy. The old man drank Newcastle Brown Ale and smoked woodbines constantly. He had a very bad chest and died of it and they all blamed the Garmans for gassing him in the war, never mind the forty woodbines a day that he smoked from the age of about ten until he died.

indeed, so it should be pronounced troob

If we insisted on pronouncing all foreign imports into English with their original pronunciations the English language would sound ridiculous. Trub rhymes with scrub, if it was troob it would have an e on the end.

My accent, born in Hertfordshire moved around in my teens and settled in Yorkshire :) ok try WAWT :)

Back