Wilko Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I will be using a blow off tube when I get round to doing mine.
And if that doesn't work (like it didn't for the Youngs AIPA I recently did) I will just crack the lid, cover that area of the lid and let it ooze out.
Short of splitting and separately brewing in two FVs that's all you can do.
I have mine on the go at present, but brewed short to 20 litres in an attempt to keep things in the FV
However after about 24 hours the krausen hit the FV lid and although I tried the blow off tube but it blocked soon after the krausen started to come through it. The yeast is really sticky, probably the stickiest I have used.
Next I dispensed with the blow off and just cracked the lid but even then it got blocked and blew the lid.
If I ever do this kit again, I will split it into two, and that's what I suggest anyone else who intends to do this kit, gives consideration to doing.

Well after seven days, the first three being a bit volcanic which resulted in some yeast being lost to the outside world, my Wilko Wheat Beer fermentation has slowed right up and the SG is currently about 1.018 (from OG 1.042). I am not too hopeful of it going down much more :-?. It's sitting at about 19*C at present and that hasn't changed much all week.
What did others who have done this kit manage to achieve? Anyone? Thanks

Mine finished at 1014. It was in the fv for 16 days would of been less but work got in the way.

Well it's had 12 days and finally ended up at 1.017 even though at day 7 I chucked in a spare packet of Coopers yeast I had to see if that would encourage it to go a bit lower. Basically it didn't. So the ABV ended up pretty low at 3.3%. It was almost clear at the end.
It's now been bottled and will carbonate over the next two weeks or so at current summer (?) house temperatures. I primed for about 2.5 volumes of carbonation.
Never having done a wheat beer before, how long do folks give these to condition? I have no means of putting the bottles in a cool place (other than to serve). Given the low ABV will it be ready to drink in say a month's time, or is it a keeper?

I left for 2 weeks then drank, I also poured the yeast in the glass, seemed lacking if left out

Started this yesterday. Added 150g golden syrup and topped up to about 20.5 l. O.G.1046.
Today the lid has come off at one side and has spilt on to the floor

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I made mine and added 4kg of dark cherries and some funky lambic yeast. Leaving in the fermenter for 4 weeks now.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Hello all
Thinking this is my next brew...will it be suitable for a pb? I'm a bit unsure about the recommended priming levels as they seem high at around 4 volumes. Having bought wheat beer I know it's fizzy..can the pb take it or should I cut it down or bottle?
Cheers

Clint

Bought 3 of these the other day as they were on sale £10 each. I've ordered some hops Cascade and columbus to dry hop them. I thought 25g of each 5 days before I bottle it. What do you think?

I have just bought this, seemed cheap for a complete kit but added some extra sugar to make it slightly stronger 6.5%. Fermentation was excitable and blew through my air lock but did not lift the lid or make a real mess. Hopefully when finished it will be a good tasting brew.

Hopefully when finished it will be a good tasting brew.
Mine has turned out OK but not 'good'. The yeast stopped at 1.014 and so it is slightly sweet and a bit cloying. It also has a slight twang. It is certainly nothing like the Erdinger I was drinking on holiday earlier this year.
I passed up the opportunity to buy another in Wilko yesterday, and would not buy it again even if they weren't being discontinued.
However I hope yours turns out as you would want it.

It tasted more of paulaner when I did it, although it did ferment in the short summer we had so god knows what temp it was

Latest posts

Back