Proper Job IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysalchemy

Reaction score
Has any one got a recipe for St Austells proper job? I was drinking :drink: :drink: this on holiday in Somerset last week and was bowled over by its hoppyness.

:cheers:

AG

grays - this is a recipe that I recently used to make something along the line of Proper Job.
Taste wise, I didn't think it was far away at all.....certainly a very, very nice beer.
Rick's recipe is similar, though I think he doesn't use any carapils and the hop schedule is slightly different.
Colourwise, I didn't get that quite right. It has a reddish tinge rather than the golden I was looking for.....probably a bit too much munich.

Hope you get to where you want to go :thumb:

Brew length 25 litres
OG est - 1057
FG est - 1015
Est abv - 5.54%
Colour - 6 SRM
IBU 47.5

Grain Bill
Pale Malt (marris otter) - 5kg
Munich Malt - 0.8kg
Carapils - 0.3kg

Hops
Chinook (pellet) - aa11.4% - 30g - 90 mins
Cascade (flowers) - aa7.8% - 20g - 10 mins
Willamette (pellet) - aa5.5% - 25g - 10 mins
Willamette (pellet) - aa5.5% - 30g - 5 mins
Willamette (pellet) - aa5.5% - 30g - 1 min
Cascade (flowers) - aa7.8% - 30g at KO, steeped 20 mins

Yeast US05

I've tried it - about a year back .. but didn't get it right. I'd suggest bunging loads of hops in for a dry hop. Also - try to get the yeast from another st austell's bottle conditioned (like admirals) as there's no way you'll get close without it.

If you get stuck, let me know and I'll send you the recipe - it's still a great beer - and you can adapt it.

Thanks Tony. Isn't proper job bottled conditioned? I can find Tribute up here in sunny manchester but no proper job, Tribute is not bottle conditioned. I would be grateful if you could post the recipe or pm it to me when you have a chance.

Cheers

Alistair

My proper job turned out pretty good - st austell brewery have cornish grown barley malted to a secret recipe at tuckers maltings in newton abbot which is not on sale to the public :( , munich is a good subsitute which I will use in my next proper job, I get proper job on tap and bottled - tap is much better :cool: My first recipe was a bit strong as the us-o5 fermented out to around 1004 :whistle:

recipe and post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6978

will be brewing this again soon but my brew list is very long :whistle: Good luck with it :D

Just poured one of these I found lurking at the back of the store :D
I found 8 actually :lol: .....will post a picture tomorrow, as the colour isn't as far off as I remember.

Thanks for that guys I will try it with a bit of munich. I must say I enjoyed it on tap apart from the no head bit, I am a northerner and proud of it. :lol: :lol:

AG

Back