Year old harvested yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
After my work trip to Holland earlier this week I has a wiessbier in the hotel..

Now I know its not quite the same but it really reminded me of my witbier I made last year.. I harvested the yeast and put in a sanisiers jar (with a starter) a year ago... do you think its worth trying to revive this or just dump it.,?

I could build a small starter let it ferment out if at all and see what the wort turns out like as to whether its worth it or not.

It will revive but getting enough cells might be tricky. I'd go for it as well, what have you to lose?

I've a Liquid Bock Yeast dated 6/16 in my fridge. I will use it but just haven't got around to it. It was a freebie from the houseofhomebrew.com as it was out of date when I was in the shop (great service as usual from those guys, really can't thank them enough)

I've got a belgian yeast I harvested from a dubbel last autumn. I'm thinking of taking a sample and trying to see if it has life in it.

If it looks promising, I could give it a whirl. If it doesn't have enough in it to do the job, presuming I could just repitch with some new yeast.

I've got a belgian yeast I harvested from a dubbel last autumn. I'm thinking of taking a sample and trying to see if it has life in it.

If it looks promising, I could give it a whirl. If it doesn't have enough in it to do the job, presuming I could just repitch with some new yeast.

I never got around do doing this on my wit but you may as well make a small starter and then build it up.. apart from a small bit of lme/dme you do not have a lot to lose.. I woudl certainly give it a whack

Back