My First NE IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanManley

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I would like to brew my first NE IPA. I have put the following together from different recipes I have seen floating about.

Title: Northern Cardinal NE IPA
Author: Redbreast Brewery

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 23 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 27 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.056
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.066
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 6.94%
IBU (tinseth): 36.46
SRM (morey): 7.59

FERMENTABLES:
5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (76.9%)
0.5 kg - Torrified Wheat (7.7%)
0.5 kg - Flaked Oats (7.7%)
0.2 kg - United Kingdom - Munich (3.1%)
0.3 kg - German - Melanoidin (4.6%)

HOPS:
30 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 0
30 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 0
70 g - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days, IBU: 0
70 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days, IBU: 0

Now the yeast is where I'm a little stuck... I have been fortunate to recently have obtained some of the Siren Craft in-house strain Vermont Yeast. I used it for the $10 Shake Clone I have just done. I then harvested the yeast and now want to do a starter.

How do I know what the cell count is? Or do I not ever know and do the starter and it will either a) work/ferment the starter and therfore be fine or b) wont and I'll know before wasting my time brewing?

I intend to build a stir plate this week to be able to prepare the starter properly.

Very exciting!

Hi Alan

Afraid I can't help with the yeast but have done a couple of NEIPAs and will throw in some thoughts on the hopping.

The first one my hop schedule was similar to the one you are using, although I did use leaf hops for this one and the amount was similar to the recipe below). I found the end result a bit lacking in the hop hit I was looking for, especially considering the amount of hops I used.

Second time around I actually followed the original recipe (I know there is a first time for everything :lol:) using pellet hops with almost all going in post boil and dry hop. This is the one you tried at the festival and had a much bigger hop hit.

This was the recipe based on a 40 litre final volume in FV

90 minute mash at 66c and 60 minute boil

Malt
Pale Malt - 6.5kg
CaraPils - 600g
Flaked Wheat - 500g
Flaked Oats - 500g

Hops (pellet)

Mosaic- 5g - FWH
Citra - 5g - FWH
El Dorado - 5g - FWH

Irish Moss - 5g - 15 mins

40 minute whirlpool (stirring post boil)
10g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

30 minute whirlpool
20g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

20 minute whirlpool
30g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

Yeast US05

Dry Hop
add on day 2
25g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

add on day 4
45g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

Have you considered biotransformation dry hopping? It really does pump up those hop aromas!

Hi Alan

Afraid I can't help with the yeast but have done a couple of NEIPAs and will throw in some thoughts on the hopping.

The first one my hop schedule was similar to the one you are using, although I did use leaf hops for this one and the amount was similar to the recipe below). I found the end result a bit lacking in the hop hit I was looking for, especially considering the amount of hops I used.

Second time around I actually followed the original recipe (I know there is a first time for everything :lol:) using pellet hops with almost all going in post boil and dry hop. This is the one you tried at the festival and had a much bigger hop hit.

This was the recipe based on a 40 litre final volume in FV

90 minute mash at 66c and 60 minute boil

Malt
Pale Malt - 6.5kg
CaraPils - 600g
Flaked Wheat - 500g
Flaked Oats - 500g

Hops (pellet)

Mosaic- 5g - FWH
Citra - 5g - FWH
El Dorado - 5g - FWH

Irish Moss - 5g - 15 mins

40 minute whirlpool (stirring post boil)
10g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

30 minute whirlpool
20g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

20 minute whirlpool
30g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

Yeast US05

Dry Hop
add on day 2
25g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

add on day 4
45g each
Mosaic
Citra
El Dorado
Lemon Drop

Does the "Whirlpool" bit mean that you stir for 40 mins add then stir for 30 mins, add or do you stir after 40 mins, add then stir after 30 mins, add?

It was a cracking beer that too. I guess the lemon drop gave it some of the fruityness? I have some of those too yet haven't tried them yet. May do a small batch SMaSH to trial them first.

Have you considered biotransformation dry hopping? It really does pump up those hop aromas!

+1 Ill be adding my first hops on about day 3 for bio.
Im brewing something very similar next week. Looks very much like the Julius clone. I'm thinking about maybe an Azacca, Citra, Galaxy combo with a CO2 shot for bittering. You think this combo will work?

Id possibly swap out the marries otter for golden promise

+1 Ill be adding my first hops on about day 3 for bio.
Im brewing something very similar next week. Looks very much like the Julius clone. I'm thinking about maybe an Azacca, Citra, Galaxy combo with a CO2 shot for bittering. You think this combo will work?

Id possibly swap out the marries otter for golden promise

That would be a very nice hop combo. I wouldn't be afraid to add the first dry hop charge to the bottom of your fermenter whilst you pour your cooled wort in. I've tried it twice and it works.

Golden promise is the base malt Magic Rock seem to enjoy. I personally like an extra pale base malt in a NEIPA

Back