APA recipe help please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcammish

Reaction score
Hi
I want to brew s great APA and hope some of you experienced brewers have a recipe that fits my hops...

25g Magnum 10-14 %

100 g cascade 8.2%

I'm using a grainfather and hoping for 23l in the fermenter.
I have an American ale yeast from crossmyloof i would like to use.

Hopefully i will keg with my new corny keg arriving soon.

Any great recipes based on the hops and alpha acids above?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Personally I'd go with a split of Maris Otter (or similar) and Vienna, maybe 70/30 percentage wise, 25g Magnum at 60 mins, 25g Cascade at 10 mins, 25g at flameout and dry hop with the 50g remaining.

I think you'll need more hops to make a great APA - another 100g of another American hop or just more cascade and it still wouldn't be a hopbomb:-

Magnum for bittering @ 60mins
40 or 50g total @ 10 or 5mins
50 or 60g total steep
100g total dry hop

Great advice. Thanks. I should have mentioned i already have the grain which i think i will use.
4.7kg light MO
235 carapils.

Hoping this should go OK with the above recipes?

One point I'm never sure of. When a recipe mentions hops at flameout, i understand when but how long would i leave before starting the cooling?
Thanks.

One point I'm never sure of. When a recipe mentions hops at flameout, i understand when but how long would i leave before starting the cooling?
Thanks.

If you add them at flameout you'll extract some IBUs which may be difficult to calculate and some hop oils are boiled off below 100C
I cool to 70C then turn off the water to the chiller and steep for 20-30mins before chilling down to fermentation temp.

I have similar ingredients ready to try. I went down the 'an APA doesn't have to be a hop bomb' route so think 100g of cascade will be fine.

I haven't tried this yet but it's going to be the next brew:
4.5kg Maris Otter
200g Crystal 30
15g of Magnum 15% at 60mins
Then the Cascade I may tweak the amounts and timings
20g Cascade 6.6% at 15 mins
20g at 5 mins
30g at 0 mins
30g dry hop

I'm going to use it as the first brew on my Ace so didn't want anything too complicated.

@Pavros & @rcammish - both your grain bills are very similar to a recent Hophead-esque brew I made. Not exactly a clone very pretty close.
Only 4.1Kg MO + 300g caramalt for a 25L of a 3.9% brew, but with 222g Cascade total it's still defo more of a hoppy golden ale than an APA.
I only used 150g in my 1st attempt at this beer and it wasn't as hoppy as a bottle of Hophead (if you've ever tried it).
I love cascade but its not as intense as many of the newer american hops - I'm sure you'll make a tasty brew with just 100g but I think you may be dissappointed with the hoppiness if you like APAs

But with the bittering only being 30 to 35 ibus then I think I should be OK using 100g of Cascade as I'm not looking for a hop bomb of Brewdog levels. If the bittering was 45 ibus or higher then I think it would probably need more. At least that's my train of thought at the moment.

I'm OK with a hoppy golden ale. I will makes the recipe as stated above and use the it as a base level for future brews. I can up the hops next time you for a proper APA.

Latest posts

Back