Probably another daft question. But...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
When you hop at zero or flame out do you filter out the hops when transferring to FV as normal or do you leave these ones in ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they are left in the kettle with the other hops you've used in the boil

they are left in the kettle with the other hops you've used in the boil

Thanks Dan - that’s what I thought but the flame out addition created the doubt. Doing another brew this week that calls for flame out hopping for the first time.

Thanks Dan - that’s what I thought but the flame out addition created the doubt. Doing another brew this week that calls for flame out hopping for the first time.

Many folks (me included) chill down to 70C being adding the flame out hops to try to preserve more hop oils as some have boiling points below 100C

Many folks (me included) chill down to 70C being adding the flame out hops to try to preserve more hop oils as some have boiling points below 100C

As dan said, I normally wait 30 mins After getting the cool wort at about 80c to put the 0 mins hops (flame out, in some recipes)
Normally use no chill cubes.
70c is something I try with the next batch...this be wort chiller this time.
The 80c was for no chill method, more pastirize wort into a sanitise cube.
Bri

I bloody love this forum. One question and lots of good advice.
Thanks all - I’ll leave flame out addition until it cools to 70 as suggested.
Man I love AG brewing !

Have been adding hops at 80c and standing for 15 mins or so and of late have been bunging em in at f/out and just cooling as per normal.To be honest i think it has made little difference so for time being will continue in the later vein:smile:

If you want to follow a recipe exactly then 0min/flame out hops are added when you turn the heat off and cool as normal. If a recipe wanted you to leave them at 80c for a time it would call them steep or whirlpool hop additions. But you may (or may not) find leaving them at this temp for a while improves the beer but it doesn't make what the recipe intended.

Agree with previous post ....... I add hops at 0/flame out .... and start wort chiller on the go ( Usually down to 24c in 30-40 mins ) . Leaving hops in spider till wort cooled down and transferred to FV. Works well as a poor mans hopback / hop rocket.

Back