ginger beer crystal malt recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_git

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been wanting to replicate the sweetness in commercial ginger beers. Can't see a way to do this without pasturising batches and then sweetening followed by force carbonating. Well, I could add potassium sorbate at the desired sweetness but I'm not fond of adding preservatives to beer or wine.

My thoughts were, I might be able to leave some residual sweetness by steeping a fair amount of crystal malt in a pale malt wort. I was thinking of using a low-attenuative ale yeast to ferment out the wort and then hitting it with ginger extracts or flavouring nearer bottling time.

Anyone had any success brewing this way or any experience combining ginger to beer brewing?

Cheers,

OG

Hi old_git,

I wondered if you got anywhere with the malt in ginger beer?
I am new to brewing, have done a cider, lovely, and did some applejack.
Then I have just done a ginger beer with lemon (I love crabbies GB). It is ok but lacking something. It's not sweet and not much body to it. It is very nice with some dilute summer fruits in but on its own it's dry and bitter lemon. Not 100% I got this right, but my hydrometer said potential of 11% final reading said 0%
I also jacked the ginger beer, really strong alcohol, very nice though.

Any advice on keeping somes sweetness etc.

Hi DMc,

I haven't got around to making the ginger beer with malt yet (even after a year!) but to be fair have been very busy with all grain, wine and cider making. My next brew is a raspberry blonde ale using a couple of kilos of fresh raspberry from my friends garden. I just finished bottle conditioning a clone of zombie dust, totally tropical pale and a Perry, all of which are delicious.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes - adding malt will certainly add body and sweetness. If you aren't doing all grain, my guess is some dme (spray dried malt extract) would add the sweetness and body that is lacking from a sugar-based ginger beer recipe. Something along the lines of 1kg of Amber dme along with some sugar or brewing sugar would probably do the trick nicely. If I was using grains, I'd probably add 200g of crystal malt and 1kg of base malt. A touch of Munich would also go down well from a mouthfeel and depth point of view.

There is also the issue of what yeast to use as champagne yeast is highly attenuate so some strain of yeast that will leave some residual sugar but also impart a clean flavour would be ideal.

I hope this helps a bit. Hopefully I can get around to it this autumn and provide a bit more feedback after I have brewed what I just suggested. It won't be the same as crabbies (it would be very difficult to do a clone of their ginger beer) but it should be a tasty ginger beer.

Cheers,

O_G

Hi O_G

Just seen your reply.

Since writing asking you the question, I started a batch using 1kg of light spray dried malt along with 2kg of sugar, 4 large Oranges (zest and juice) instead of lenons. I used Muntons Gervin GV-12 ale yeast.
Been in for 4 days and still bubbling away quite quickly. Looks a nice colour and once again OG says potential of 11%.
I will keep you posted how it turns out, just wondering if I should put it into secondary before bottling as last time I just bottled which was fine but with sediment.

Anyways, I like the sound of the raspberry blonde, yum.

DMc

Blimey! 11%!! ashock1That'll put hairs on your chest!

Sounds like a nice twist. English ale yeast is a good compromise as it is not as attenuative as other yeasts. It might still be slightly tart so taste it before bottling. If it seems like it needs a touch more sweetness, I'd recommend a bit of xylitol in a bottling bucket (as long as you're not allergic to it). I've done this before to cider and it came out off dry and very palatable.

Regarding secondary (and not using pulped fruit) I don't usually bother. If it's cool enough and left in the primary for two weeks, I find ginger beer it clear enough. Having said that, your eyes are the best judge - if it's still quite murky after drawing a sample close to bottling then secondary (or extended time in the primary) will clear it up.

Cheers!

OG

Back