Beer you just don't like/can't drink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John Smiths or Worthington Smooth Flows both to me appear to be be dam cold coloured waters of no taste/body or strength yuk

Norman

I just tried a John Smith's Smoothflow first the first time (my lovely next door neighbour brought round a load of beer left over from a get-together as they aren't drinkers). Hands down the worst beer I've ever tasted. Doesn't taste like beer, mouthfeel is not like beer. Miles worse than even the rankest lager I've ever had.

Hook Norton gold. Yuk, great old skool brewery but not keen on that at all. Not many ive had to poor away. Sorry hook norton

I just tried a John Smith's Smoothflow first the first time (my lovely next door neighbour brought round a load of beer left over from a get-together as they aren't drinkers). Hands down the worst beer I've ever tasted. Doesn't taste like beer, mouthfeel is not like beer. Miles worse than even the rankest lager I've ever had.

I don't know where you're from 'L', but folk round here go mad for JS. Probably because they've been raised on the stuff along with the power of advertising. As a youth it was in practically every pub, choice was very limited and so we thought it was the best beer in the known universe. Wasn't long before that opinion changed but for many others it hasn't. You don't miss what you never had... And ye the smoothflow variant, like most of em, is dire.

I don't know where you're from 'L', but folk round here go mad for JS. Probably because they've been raised on the stuff along with the power of advertising. As a youth it was in practically every pub, choice was very limited and so we thought it was the best beer in the known universe. Wasn't long before that opinion changed but for many others it hasn't. You don't miss what you never had... And ye the smoothflow variant, like most of em, is dire.

I'm from Lancashire but have lived in/around Leicester for the better part of 25 years. When I started my drinking career I was strictly a lager man - it wasn't until I lived overseas for a bit and there was no choice or variety that I started looking for something different and, via Belgian ales, discovered the wide world of amazing beer.

In my early 20's when I did production work in the night shift, we sort of had a competition. Spend the weekend to drink 6 cans of the cheapest beer you can find, and report back Monday night. Found out that there are some very cheap lagers that are actually quite drinkable, sometimes more than the regular brands.
I still tend to buy on holidays a few of the cheapest, just for the hell of it :lol:
Last holiday featured a liter can, for 1.50, Faxe Extra Strong.

a liter can, for 1.50, Faxe Extra Strong.

Faxe litre cans! This was my very first experience of being drunk, aged 13 - I had a part time job washing the breakfast pots in the local hotel and barfed all over the kitchen floor as a result. Good times.

Faxe litre cans! This was my very first experience of being drunk, aged 13 - I had a part time job washing the breakfast pots in the local hotel and barfed all over the kitchen floor as a result. Good times.

You were still drunk or was it the hangover?! I understand drunk@13 :whistle:

I tried the new Cloudwater/Jester King collab 'Catch My Eye' and it reminded me of a dirty wet mop or the smell of a floor washed with a dirty wet mop as its drying. The taste was pretty similar not that I've tasted many dirty wet mopped floors! Not sure if it was the hops used but man I did not enjoy that beer! I generally enjoy Cloudwater beers but not this bad boy.

Tried a bottle of Land of Liberty AIPA from Aldi earlier, it went down the sink, talk about pale and insipid.. Also tried their Red Rye IPA, and my wife actually had an allergic reaction to one of them..... So there's 2 more on the list to never buy again... :lol:

I was staggered how popular these radlers things are , particularly in Germany
I picked some up by mistake friggin horrible , like a lager top or a shandy

Mind you as a kid I remember being in Germany and the other kids drinking Fanta orange mixed with coke and beer mixed with coke
Diesel I remember them calling it , I’d call it summat else

I was staggered how popular these radlers things are , particularly in Germany
I picked some up by mistake friggin horrible , like a lager top or a shandy

When I lived in Germany Bier Cola was surprisingly popular. And don’t ask how they liked to serve up the alt-bier.

My Nelson Sauvin smash. Its rank as **** as is going down the sink!

How long have you had it for? I did the one out of the Greg Hughes book (more SMaTH than SMaSH, I think) and it tasted like cat **** at first. Three months later it's delicious!

Latest posts

Back