The Hods Brew Shed Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming on beautifully. What's happening in the roof space? More insulation & boarding out?

Yup that’s the one. You can’t see it but I’ve done the first fix for 6 LED downlights.

I’m going to board it out with 16mm ply and insulate in between the rafters. Just so I can extra roof space storage accessed from the shed side and I don’t have to have un brewing related items in my man cave [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m really happy with how it’s gone so far. But I’ll be honest it’s been bloody hard work.

It’s a shame because I don’t think I’ll have it finished in time to judge this months brewing comp from the brew shed.

But I’ll have to come up with an idea for an unveiling. Ideas anyone?

Day 15 - got on with the cladding on one side today. Plus painting it. Started on the trim around the doors but hit a snag.

Plus some pics of the internal board out and first fix.

View attachment IMG_3655.jpgView attachment IMG_3656.jpgView attachment IMG_3657.jpgView attachment IMG_3658.jpgView attachment IMG_3659.jpgView attachment IMG_3660.jpgView attachment IMG_3661.jpgView attachment IMG_3662.jpg

And a few of the shed side too [emoji1303]

View attachment IMG_3663.jpgView attachment IMG_3664.jpg

I love this thread. Awesome build.

Out of interest, how much do you reckon this has cost you for materials and roofing?

Also out of interest, I see you have an interesting pile of surfboards?
Will the brew shed also double as board storage?
What are you riding? Please tell us about your quiver.

Cheers,
Magnus.

Day 16 - only got one side cladded today. Weather was proper sh*te.

Gotta get the cladding finished this week so I can get on with the rest of the second fix inside on the weekend.

Guttering and sofits next week and the outside is nearly done. Just in time for the cr*p weather to really come in..... I hope.....

View attachment IMG_3685.jpgView attachment IMG_3686.jpgView attachment IMG_3688.jpg

Out of interest, how much do you reckon this has cost you for materials and roofing?

Cheers,
Magnus.

Good spot on my sticks.

In short yes the shed side has been specifically designed so u can store my boards on racking up high. Especially my long board [emoji1303]

My reduced quiver (I’ve let some go over the last 7 years)

9”6’ Hobie Californian noserider (3’ thick tri fin with 7’ center fin because I like to carve my big boards more than nose ride) this board is like surfing glass the rails and channels are just awesome.

7” 6’ Neville (from a shaper in Braunton) Mini Mal - just a great mid board. Great in slop and when there’s not much power in the swell.

6”2’ Fish made by a shaper in Australia called 7S. A fixed Tri fin with a swallow tail. A board I had when I travelled round Aussie and brought back with me. (I did have a Bear 9” long board but I had to sell it before I moved on to Fiji as NZ airways wouldn’t put it in their hold [emoji22])

Other notable boards were my 10” Bob Mactavish Long board. With the biggest rails you’ve ever seen!!!
6”7’ lost shortboard. I was young and stupid.

I mainly just surf my long board these days as I don’t live near the surf anymore so I don’t get to surf as much as the old days.

*sighs.....

Looking the biz!
Couple of questions. ....
What are you fixing the outside cladding to?
Did you build the brick course to suspend the floor on and" didn't "add any more concrete?
How did you secure the frame to the brick course?
Are you running power from your house/main consumer board?
Have you decided on how to get your water in?
Are soak aways ok?
Sorry for that lot but I have a cunning plan....

Looking the biz!

Couple of questions. ....

What are you fixing the outside cladding to?

Did you build the brick course to suspend the floor on and" didn't "add any more concrete?

How did you secure the frame to the brick course?

Have you decided on how to get your water in?

Are soak aways ok?

Sorry for that lot but I have a cunning plan....

Ok here goes to answer your questions.

What are you fixing the cladding to :

View attachment IMG_3505.jpg

So this is the frame that’s behind the vapour barrier. The centres are regular across the length so your able to nail at regular intervals.

Yeah built a two brick course to get a level base and put in air bricks as the pics

View attachment IMG_3456.JPG

You can see on top of the brick course is a DPC (damp proof course) and then I bolted down a “wall plate” 4x2 all the way round. You can just about make that out in this pic. This forms the base for the whole build.

View attachment IMG_3472.jpg

The floor joists I did on joist hangers supported by bricks and the spare roofing plug I had left over. With the 22mm board on top it’s super rock solid.

View attachment IMG_3601.jpg

Yes. I have wired in sockets and lights which all run back to where a local consumer unit will go. See here

View attachment IMG_3659.jpg

I have already run in a 25 meter length of 16mm SWA cable which I am going to feed from a 40amp MCB on my main house dist board.

Water (which I haven’t done yet) will be via a temp connection from a hose pipe which I will hook up like an outside tap when I need water for brewing/teas and coffees.

I’m going to put in a small sink and tap in one corner for brewing and washing down after brews etc. So that will be exactly as any home plumbing. Or least that’s what I’m thinking at the moment.

And yes I’m going to dig in a small soak away by the fruit tree as well as having two larger water butts for cooling water reuse.

So what’s the cunning plan???

That's great! Thanks!

The cunning plan.....to persuade the other half that a spanking new shed is just what I need!

It’s exactly what you need!

You can try what I did. “How much would you like every piece of brewing paraphernalia out of the house?”

That seemed to work for me [emoji6]

Plus the old shed was proper f*cked

View attachment IMG_3432.jpg

Cheers,
Magnus.

Oh yes I also forgot to answer your other question.

I reckon that all in for this build. Including all of the later fit out of sink and waterproof flooring it’s gonna be around £5k.

But that is to have a 4.5 x 4.5 insulated building built to building regulations standards. So it’s a proper wooden framed structure and will easily add £10k in value as a home office to my house.

It's a cracking build! Plus as you say it's done properly and isn't just some **** shed that'll leak in a couple of years and be full of slugs...
One of those electric oil heaters would heat that space up a treat during the winter and they're dead cheap to run. Years ago when we had the really bad winter I used one in our garage to keep the guinea pigs warm...it was -10 at night but you could sit in there in shorts and tshirt!

It's a cracking build! Plus as you say it's done properly and isn't just some **** shed that'll leak in a couple of years and be full of slugs...

One of those electric oil heaters would heat that space up a treat during the winter and they're dead cheap to run. Years ago when we had the really bad winter I used one in our garage to keep the guinea pigs warm...it was -10 at night but you could sit in there in shorts and tshirt!

Seriously I did allot of research and going this route was either way cheaper or nearly the same cost as a equiv cabin from say Dunster house.

Yet mine is 50mm thick cavities and with insulation, a proper tiled roof, a suspended floor, vapour barrier etc etc

I purposely didn’t want as home for slugs after 12 months.

I’ve put an extra socket in just in case I need to put an oil filled heater in on a stat for exactly that reason.

Where do you buy shorts and T-shirts for guinea pigs?

Being the forum hipster M I thought you would be on the ball with such matters....
As for giggly pigs...don't get them. Kids went on about having some...ended up with two hutches full of the squeaky buggers...then they lost interest. My terrier was more than interested...and managed to get one of them resulting in pandemonium!

Good spot on my sticks.

In short yes the shed side has been specifically designed so u can store my boards on racking up high. Especially my long board [emoji1303]

My reduced quiver (I’ve let some go over the last 7 years)

9”6’ Hobie Californian noserider (3’ thick tri fin with 7’ center fin because I like to carve my big boards more than nose ride) this board is like surfing glass the rails and channels are just awesome.

7” 6’ Neville (from a shaper in Braunton) Mini Mal - just a great mid board. Great in slop and when there’s not much power in the swell.

6”2’ Fish made by a shaper in Australia called 7S. A fixed Tri fin with a swallow tail. A board I had when I travelled round Aussie and brought back with me. (I did have a Bear 9” long board but I had to sell it before I moved on to Fiji as NZ airways wouldn’t put it in their hold [emoji22])

Other notable boards were my 10” Bob Mactavish Long board. With the biggest rails you’ve ever seen!!!
6”7’ lost shortboard. I was young and stupid.

I mainly just surf my long board these days as I don’t live near the surf anymore so I don’t get to surf as much as the old days.

*sighs.....

Sounds like you have something for all conditions. Where do you surf?

My old shed has a board storage problem. The longboards and mini-mals are up in the rafters; shorter boards piled up wherever they get left - but always in the way.

At the risk of going totally off topic (sorry):

I have a 9'6 classic nose rider (Gulfstream Saunton Foil); a 6'4 fish (Gulfstream Speed Dialler); and a 6'4 fat shortboard (Firewire Dominator). My 3 sons, and my wife also have various boards, so plenty of choice, but nightmare for storage.

A local (Saltburn) shaper recently made me a 5'8 mini-Simmons (photo attached). I couldn't believe that something so tiny could be so easy to paddle, and easy to catch waves. It's awesome, like riding a skateboard. I'd definitely recommend trying one; much easier than carrying a longboard down to the beach, and almost the same wave catching ability.

IMG_2095.jpg

I'm properly jealous of both your build and the fact you have the skills to do it! I couldn't.

Will you be extending those stairs sideways to cover the French windows as well?

Latest posts

Back