Fermentasaurus conical PET fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got an email about this, looks interesting, anyone tried it yet?

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/fermentasaurus.html

One major issue I see is that if you use it as a keg then your fermenter is out of action until you finish the previous batch. I currently just bottle and have been considering getting a couple of kegs, since the fermentasaurus costs about £150 with the pressure kit then it is a similar price to a keg.

The next issue would be that it would not fit in my fridges, I am hoping to build a brew shed soon so might plan for a large larder fridge in there and get one of these instead of a keg. Interested if anyone has tried it yet.

I weighed up getting one of these against the SS Brewtech bucket. Eventually went with the SS for its quality and durability.

Although it is fairly cheap to replace, the life of these fermenter's is relatively short, I have no idea what the replacement would be in the UK.

Although it is fairly cheap to replace, the life of these fermenter's is relatively short, I have no idea what the replacement would be in the UK.
How dya reckon that Foxy? An ordinary bucket lasted me 25 plus until I retired it for my fastfermenter,still have it,still fine

I received an email about this as well.

The first two posters have brought up the 2 issues that I saw:

If you are using it as a keg, is it a problem that it is clear? Presumably you would have to use it with a cover (which might help with keeping it cool) or keep it in the dark.

If you use it as a keg, you will have to use another fermenter if you want to brew another batch while drinking the one in the fermentasaurus or buy more fermentasaurii (or whatever the plural of fermentasaurus is), cos, you know, we only ever brew and drink one batch at a time

How dya reckon that Foxy? An ordinary bucket lasted me 25 plus until I retired it for my fastfermenter,still have it,still fine
They have a use by date emblazoned on them, the replacement is about $40 Australian. I have seen them it was either 2 or 3 years.

I like the look of it, but as a conical fermenter rather than for serving from. There's no tap on it though, I assume I would attach some syphine tubing to the bottom release or something to transfer? I tend to bottle straight from primary with a Little Bottler at the moment without issue so I'm keen to still refrain from syphoning.

They have a use by date emblazoned on them, the replacement is about $40 Australian. I have seen them it was either 2 or 3 years.
Hmm.I wonder why they would put a use by date on something like a food grade FV? Are they expecting chemicals to leach out of them? Bit dodgy to me

Hmm.I wonder why they would put a use by date on something like a food grade FV? Are they expecting chemicals to leach out of them? Bit dodgy to me
Perhaps it has something to do with the pressure they hold. More of a "if it blows after said expiry date, don't blame us"?

Perhaps it has something to do with the pressure they hold. More of a "if it blows after said expiry date, don't blame us"?
Surely can't be that, scenario! The shop has one sitting on its shelf for 5 years let's say and the use by date is 12 months after surely its good for 4 years after its sold,doesn't make sense as all PBs would have the same premise I would think,anyway I would love to know the real reason they have a limited use

If you watch the video he states it should be pressure tested every 2 years. I'm guessing what you saw was a pressure test date not a use by date.

Sounds more feasible but how would you pressure test one? Even though we have the CO2 capability

All explained in the video, but to save time he states that you need to apply 5 bar pressure for a period whilst full of water and that they sell a kit to test it but that you could also cobble the test components together yourself. So if it doesn't explode at 5 bar your good for another 2 years I guess.

I quite like the idea of it, if it came down in price I'd consider getting 2, one to drink from whilst other is fermenting / conditioning.

It could also do with some kind of temperature control jacket to make it really useful.

I like the look of it, but as a conical fermenter rather than for serving from. There's no tap on it though, I assume I would attach some syphine tubing to the bottom release or something to transfer? I tend to bottle straight from primary with a Little Bottler at the moment without issue so I'm keen to still refrain from syphoning.

There is a racking arm with tap which is an optional extra, there is a mark to drill a hole to fit it. If you have got big hands don't bother.
Also as PET is susceptible to UV light there is a cover, also an optional extra.

I saw a video where a medium mens t-shirt fitted fine over the fermentersaurus and provided insulation and a shield from light.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Back