Drilling through the side of the fridge...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jon_

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone done this?

I have a tall lader fridge as my kegerator. At the moment I've got just one keg and the CO2 inside. But I have fitted two taps, and as such I'd like to put another beer on. The problem is, there is just no room for the two corn kegs and the CO2... so I'm thinking to store the CO2 on the outside of the fridge, but I need to get a gas line in..

Are there cooling pipes running up the side of the fridge?

I bought this fridge new, just for the kegerator... so it's not just a second hand throw away if I bugger it up. It just HAD to match my kitchen, I'm funny like that!

How can I get the gas line in without risking buggering up the fridge?

Drill a small pilot hole just through the externanl skin (choke the drill bit) then stick something thin in and feel for pipes in the way.

The two old fridges I have done had nothing in the sides, difficult to say for new ones

Anyone done this?

I have a tall lader fridge as my kegerator. At the moment I've got just one keg and the CO2 inside. But I have fitted two taps, and as such I'd like to put another beer on. The problem is, there is just no room for the two corn kegs and the CO2... so I'm thinking to store the CO2 on the outside of the fridge, but I need to get a gas line in..

Are there cooling pipes running up the side of the fridge?

I bought this fridge new, just for the kegerator... so it's not just a second hand throw away if I bugger it up. It just HAD to match my kitchen, I'm funny like that!

How can I get the gas line in without risking buggering up the fridge?

Make a paste with alcohol and corn starch smear on the side you are going to drill (make sure fridge is on) the paste will dry quicker where the gas lines are showing quite clearly where and where not to drill.

Drill a 12mm hole in the outside skin, get some 12mm copper pipe and push in to form a sleeve taking out the insulation. Then drill through once your certain you can see the inside leaf. this way you will have a nice neat cleave permanently in place and you can seal the hole when the gas line is in. on the outside you can then get a nice neat cover made to suit your kitchen out of a disc of Aluminium painted to match.

Some nice ideas here.. thanks guys. Something I'll have to conquer next weekend, as I've got 2 beers on route from FV and almost ready for kegs.

I drilled through the top of my fridge for this reason, just safer really. The only thing to watch for in the top is wiring for a light

This is a nice idea.. I like it. Being a tall fridge, it would mean more gas line. But that’s okay. Well thinking about it, I could store the gas on top of the fridge out of the way.. hmm.

Latest posts

Back