just gone to bottle this ,,,,,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
set all my stuff up to bottle this, its only a 10ltr smash so no big deal, but wtf is going on.
its just big clumps and doesnt look pretty. Bin ?

been in the fv for 17 days .the clumps take up most of the room in the wort,,i think if i did bottle i would only get a couple of bottles. but after seeing this, i wouldnt want to drink it any way ,

I've seen cold break look like that in the boiler during cooling but never in the fv after fermentation. Have you tasted it?

You are in a terrible mood this morning! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Never seen anything like that in my brews (Thank God) but never wishing to waste time or money I would definitely taste it; and if it had no really bad "vinegar" or "musty" taste/smell, bottle it and see how it turned out.

Some of the finest wines are made when the grapes are going mouldy from "the noble rot"! :thumb:

I've had that a couple of times recently. Was absolutely fine. I did scoop the majority out with a ladle before racking to the bottling bucket, but the beer was good and didn't end up with too much sediment in the bottle either - just the usual.

I've put it down to more or less completely draining the boiler and getting break material through to the fv.

Hi!
Demob happy - off on a winter holiday to Malta.
You must know Malta quite well from you seafaring days.
Colin

I know it well and spent a few nights in The Gut. :thumb:

As the ladies I met will be in their 90's by now I recommend that you just look out for the street sellers that trade in Pea Pasties.

They taste fine when you are sober and are superb when you are three sheets to the wind! :lol::lol:

Agree the clumps looks like they could be cold break, but I certainly wouldn't say this is "normal".

Did you use whirlfloc/protofloc? If so, how much?

Certainly looks like some form of flocculation. Never seen anything like it, although I wonder if the krausen is dropping in a big mass. I'd leave it somewhere cold, see if it drops.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

I've often put all the break material into the fv and it's always compacted down after a few hours....and stayed there. It's best put somewhere freezing...most bio organisms slow down or stop in the cold....like the film The Thing.....I'd burn it...

I'd suggest the cause is too much kettle finings. 0.5 tablet is around double what you needed for a 10l batch.

See similar pictures on this thread: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13403.0

What's your process of moving the wort to the FV? Bearing in mind if you're going to use a kettle fining, the idea is for the cold break to settle out and to be left behind in the kettle, so if you've poured all of your wort in to the FV, you've included all break material which might be what you're seeing here.

Latest posts

Back