Test brew from the dregs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chor808

Reaction score
As the title sort of says I had a little extra left over in the boiler after filling the fermentor to about 5 gallons, so I thought might as well try something. I had a glass demijon hanging around so I just pour the rest of the wort into that and threw in half a packet of M84 yeast. The brew is a Greg H Pilsner.

It looked grim. I just left it out on my desk at whatever temp the room was (18-22c). In the morning it as off like a rocket next day done! Zero bubbles nothing, down to about 1.012. Threw it into a keg, there was about 8 pints worth and added Co2. Left for two more days and had a glass. Tastes superb!!

The bulk of the brew is still no where near ready but my frankinbrew is kegged tapped and will be drunk in a couple of days.

Could just be luck, not sure if I would risk the same with a full 5 gallons but just shows sometimes just thrown together works.

I've just brewed an ESB and I've done the same, dumped whatever I had in the bottom of the boiler into the same demijon and the rest of the M84 yeast.

Anyone else had a surprise good brew?

Before I started adding hops or grains to kits I did a Coopers Real Ale kit with 500g DME and 700g sugar. It was brewed in early December (2013) and the low-ish temperatures made for a very nice drink (for a kit beer).

When you brew with a high pitch rate, as you have, then the fermentation usually proceeds fast and the beer conditions quickly. This is how breweries manage to ferment, cask, do the secondary fermentation in the pub cellar and have it bright and ready to drink almost straight away.

When you brew with a high pitch rate, as you have, then the fermentation usually proceeds fast and the beer conditions quickly. This is how breweries manage to ferment, cask, do the secondary fermentation in the pub cellar and have it bright and ready to drink almost straight away.

That is interesting, might be worth trying that on a large batch then, maybe 2 packets on a 5 gallon if you are in a rush.

Latest posts

Back