Hoegaarden extract recipe.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had 3 "bottom of the bucket" bottles, I thought I'd use them as testers, the other 40 pints are boxed up conditioning and will go into the fridge in a week or so. The brew has been in the bottle for ony 5 days but I couldn't help it, I stuck one of the testers in the fridge last night and had it just now. Oh my! It is lovely, needs longer to carbonate, not too spicy (perhaps I never crushed the coriander enough?) hint of the orange but a very quaffable beer at only a week old! Definitely, definitely doing this little beauty again. Even Mrs Aitch liked it, and trust me she's not easily pleased! cockadoodledoo!! :lol:

Honestly mate, I had 43 pints out of the fv, the last 3 "bottom of the barrel" bottles I thought I'd use as testers, maybe have 1 a week and note the changes etc. truth is I necked them all and its all I can do to keep my hands off the others! Stunning brew and I will definitley be doing it again. These pics don't do it justice, to be honest they may not even work lol

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... =1&theater

4 bottles left and its going again jus as soon as they get the hops in (sold out?), stunning pint and better than most wheats I've had in the pub!

Sounds lovely, quite enjoy this in the pub. Is it reasonably close to the original?

What was the final recipe you decided on? Care to write a little how-to so that I can give it a go?

Cheers

ScottM said:
Sounds lovely, quite enjoy this in the pub. Is it reasonably close to the original?

What was the final recipe you decided on? Care to write a little how-to so that I can give it a go?

Cheers

Below is what I did, it's more orange coloured than the white of Hoegaarden, but honestly I lik ethe slightly more orangy flavour in this brew, certainly better than the wheat beer I had at the pub last night.

1.5kg of wheat malt and 1.5kg of extra light malt into 6l of warm water, dissolve fully and bring to boil.
00:00 Add 100g saaz hops.
00:45 Add 30g saaz hops, 50g Curacoa orange peel.
00:58 Add 30g cracked coriander seeds.
01:00 Off the heat, sieve into FV and top up to 23l.
Pitch yeast (white labs whit II) at around 20deg and ferment at around 18deg.

Just looking over this again, getting ready to go for it, and I was wondering.... is the 100g of saaz at the beginning correct? Just asking as it seems like an awful lot to start the boil with. Most other recipes I have followed call for around 30g with the total hop use being about 60g?

Cheers :)

hi scott , yes 100g is too much if you was boiling a full batch (23/30l) but if you boil much lower amounts say 6L odd then the ibu (bitter amount from hops) will be far less overall (when you later add water to make up your amounts) so you have to use more hops to get the same result if you have soft ware the ibu is around 15

pittsy said:
hi scott , yes 100g is too much if you was boiling a full batch (23/30l) but if you boil much lower amounts say 6L odd then the ibu (bitter amount from hops) will be far less overall (when you later add water to make up your amounts) so you have to use more hops to get the same result if you have soft ware the ibu is around 15

Just thinking that I'm making a 1 gallon batch and 100g would mean 20g in a 1 gallon batch. Still seems an awful lot. I'll give it a run through in the old calculators though to see what suits for the 1 gallon.

pittsy said:

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong but on beer calculus I have the following...

Extract - Witbier - 5L Batch - 60m Boil

300g Extra Light DME
300g Wheat DME

20g saaz for 60 minutes.

Before I get any further the IBU is already 41.5. Would I be right in thinking this is because it thinks I'm boiling the whole 4.5 without diluting any? If I set it to 2L, which is what I will be boiling with, the IBU comes out at 66.9. Is there any way I can then add the 2.5L of water to figure out what the IBU will be after dilution?

Thanks

Found this...

Final IBU = (IBU before adding water) x (volume before adding water)/(total volume after adding water)

IBU before adding water = 66.9
Volume before adding = 2
Total volume = 4.5

Final IBU = 66.9*2/4.5
Final IBU = 30

That's obviously still way to high so I guess using 1/5th doesn't quite cut it. Time for a little transposing...

Final IBU = 15
IBU before adding water = ?
Original Volume = 2
Final Volume = 4.5

15 = IBU*2/4.5
IBU = 15*4.5/2

IBU before adding water = 33.75

So that's what I'm aiming for on beer calculus now :D

yes you want around 5 g if only doing a 1 gallon batch (based on boiling 1 gallon, my software no longer gives the choice of boiling less than final volume) the other advice about needing more is if you boiled say 5L but was still having a final brew of around 23L (by adding water later) :D

pittsy said:
yes you want around 5 g if only doing a 1 gallon batch (based on boiling 1 gallon, my software no longer gives the choice of boiling less than final volume) the other advice about needing more is if you boiled say 5L but was still having a final brew of around 23L (by adding water later) :D

It's amazing the amount of extra hops that are required when boiling short isn't it :shock:

I'm waiting for the hops to come in to stock before brewing this one again, down to my last 88 bottles :(

All the gear here now, this ones going on tomorrow, I'm hoping it lasts until xmas....

Latest posts

Back