Youngs Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul3944

Reaction score
Brewed an AG TT landlord clone last week and used 1x Youngs Ale yeast.

I noticed airlock activity was absent however there was a large krausen, There was also a bad rotten egg smell.

After a bit of research this yeast comes in 5g packets and not the usual 11g. I pitched 1x packet.

I transferred to secondary yesterday and the yeast cake was not compacted at all more like mush and broke up easily.

Is my brew doomed?

Regards
Paul

No it's not.

The sulphur smell could be for a few of reasons. a) Because you used 5g instead of 11g the yeast would be stressed because it was made to work harder (a bit like me), so might well have produce the sulphur. This doesnt mean its ruined and your beer will taste like farts. Sulphur usually disapears as the C02 produced pushes it out of your beer and into the air. Even if it still smells bit sulphury when you bottle. Conditioning will get rid of it b) bacteria infection can cause sulphur smells c) Some strains of yeast are just are more sulphury than others. In particuar lager strains are (in)famous for it. I've never used youngs ale yeast so I dont know whether this is a particularly sulphury yeast strain

Some yeast are more flocctuant than others so the yeast cake will be more compact with some strains than others. Seems like youngs yeast isnt very flocctuant

Phew, many thanks for a clear and concise reply :) :)
Thought it was all going down the sink!
Many thanks
Paul

Back