Mashed High But thin.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly299

The Beer Bear
Reaction score
So I brewed a porter last weekend with an OG of 1.058 at 20 litres.

Mashed it high at around 68-69°C.

Unfortunately after doughing in I left the valves open and ended up with a mash thickness of about 4l/kg when I had originally intended 2.5 l/kg.

I also ended up with a hotter mash temp of 68-69°C because of the extra water. I as originally shooting for 66°C

So the beer has been fermenting away at 18°C or so and to my surprise is at 1.010! Which at first seems rediculous for the high mash temp.

However given that my mash was so thin I'm wondering if I reduced the beta amylase activity considerably.

I'm using Safale US-05 for this one.I don't think it's infected, it doesn't look, smell or taste as though it is.

Anyone else had this?

I don't think it's the mash thickness. Those kind of ratios are pretty common for people who brew in a bag.

US-05 is a pretty reliable yeast which can often give good attenuation. I'm still surprised that it has gone that low.

Are you confident in your thermometer and hydrometer accuracy?

The hydrometer reads 1.000 in my tap water, at what is apparently 20°C according to my thermometer. Which would indicate that they are either both out or both bang on.

It's a strange one for sure.I had heard that US 05 had high attenuation but it just seemed odd to get over 80% with a high mash temp.

I was anticipating something like 1.014 or more.

I've used US-05 about 3 times and each time I've had a lower final gravity than BrewMate predicted by 0.002-0.004. So it could just be from the high attenuation I guess.

Latest posts

Back