Using brown sugar in brown ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ive read a few recipes and seen that people have used brown sugar in some recipes, anyone have experience of this?

I'm pretty sure 'bog standard' brown sugar is just coloured white sugar. I'd go for something like demera or muscavado, if I was going to add brown sugar as it's still got some of the molasess in it.

I'm pretty sure 'bog standard' brown sugar is just coloured white sugar. I'd go for something like demera or muscavado, if I was going to add brown sugar as it's still got some of the molasess in it.

what will this bring to the brew though, apart from a higher ABV? (which tbh I'm not sure id want/need)

Brown sugar or demera/muscavado? Well brown sugar, nothing apart from thiner beer/higher ABV. Demera/musacavado should bring some(toffee/caramel) flavour because of the unrefined molasess

+1 for thinning out beer, I experimented with regular sugar with some pals to create a strong beer. Came out very thin, but surprisingly good. Also, Dave Miller's book says brown sugar can give a strong rum-like flavour.

+1 for thinning out beer, I experimented with regular sugar with some pals to create a strong beer. Came out very thin, but surprisingly good. Also, Dave Miller's book says brown sugar can give a strong rum-like flavour.

thats becasue its less refined and therefore closer to cane sugar

Latest posts

Back