Rehydration temp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerisGOD

Landlord.
Reaction score
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgM4slDaR60&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

great video but why would a yeast strain that has a temp tolerance of 25 (goin on the festival razorback strain) be ok with 34c water?
last thing I want is to kill off the yeast when Im trying to get the best possible start with c fairly old pack of yeast (albeit fridge stored)

has anyone pitched for rehydrating at the yeast strain recommended temp with good results?

cheers

Last edited:
I thought 30C was best temp - can't for the life of me remember what it is, but I'm sure there's a good reason for using slightly warmer water.

Mangrove Jack's say...

For all strains except the Bohemian
Lager Yeast, add the sachet contents
to 100ml of water previously adjusted
to a temperature between 86–95°F
(30–35°C). For Bohemian Lager Yeast,
rehydrate using 100 ml of
68–77°F (20–25°C) water.

I do as i'm told when it comes to yeast.

when it comes to candi sugar I don't :-)

can't see anything on what yeast the festival razorback is. I think ill play safe and sprinkle on the aerated wort, leave for ten mins and give a stir

it does state in the instructions to ferment from 20-25c

It makes the yeast lively and reproduce faster. As for fermenting, if you fermented your beer at that higher temp the yeast will give off lots of bad stuff. Slowing the yeast down makes it work better on the sugars.
If you were to do bread with Brewers yeast, you'd rise it at a very warm temp. Helps the yeast get working.

can't see anything on what yeast the festival razorback is. I think ill play safe and sprinkle on the aerated wort, leave for ten mins and give a stir

it does state in the instructions to ferment from 20-25c

I have found with all the yeasts that have rehydration instructions you rehydrate a bit warmer than their fermentation temperarture. If you don't have such instructions then re-hydrating at their max recommended fermentation will be ok. it's not going to kill the yeast. sprinkling direct onto the wort you will lose some yeast.

Latest posts

Back