X-mas turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

078devitt

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing a Christmas turbo cider, do any of you guys have any recipes/ideas? :doh::doh::whistle:

my idea so far is:

8 x 1L Sainsburys concentrated apple juice
1 x 1L Sainsburys concentrated cranberry juice
1 x 1L Sainsburys concentrated orange juice
cloves, star of anise, all spice, cinnamon & (maybe some orange skins grated)
Wilko ale yeast (made turbo cider before with it and was a good result)

boil 2l of apple juice with the spices then add the rest of the apple juice and taste test.

Sounds good. Similar to the one I made except I didn't add any cranberry or orange juice.

4l apple juice
200ml strong tea
Zest of 1 orange
3 allspice balls
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla pod
1 star anise
100g brewing sugar
1tsp Young's u Brew Cider yeast

OG 1.044 after 2 weeks FG 0.998

I made one similar last year - twas very good.

Just beware of adding too many cloves - they can give quite a "medicinal" taste...

I made one similar last year - twas very good.

Just beware of adding too many cloves - they can give quite a "medicinal" taste...

Too true. A little goes a long way with cloves. :thumb: :thumb:

In Indonesia, rough ground cloves are mixed with the tobacco in cigarettes.

The fags spit and spark like mad so it's easy to pick out a smoker ... :thumb:

... they're the people with burn holes in their shirts! :whistle:

turbo cider should have a kick to it - this sounds like its going to be a session cider to me

Thanks for the reply I will let you knows how it goes and hopefully get some pictures up!

I forgot to say I was going to add honey to strengthen it up to around 7% :twisted:

the honey has sugars that will not be eaten up so will leave a residual sweetness aswell as better mouth feel :grin:

i wouldnt mind a taste of this whe its ready - purely for research and development purposes ofcourse :lol::whistle:

Right update from my x-mas turbo cider it has been a week since I done it, I ended up using aldi juice. Also when I was making it I was well oiled so added a little more spices than planned.

I would also love to remember what the gravity was but I forgot to write it down, I think it was around 1.060 making it roughly going to be 7.5% to 8.5% (depending on what it ferments out to)

ingredients:
1x ale yeast (wilko)
1 ltr of tea (4 tea bags)
ground all spice
cloves
cinnamon
nutmeg ground & whole
star of niece whole
vanilla pod
1 ltr of apple juice (aldi concentrated)
1 ltr of orange juice (aldi concentrated)
10 ltr of apple juice (aldi concentrated)
1 jar of honey
Caster sugar

guide:

1) add 1 litre of apple juice, 1/4 orange juice, 1/4 cranberry and bring to boil

2) Add spices to the boil (2 tea spoons of all spice (ground), 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 vanilla pod (cut into 4 bits), 2 star of nice, 10 cloves, 1 teaspoon of ground nut meg, 1 nut meg cut in half & 1 zest of orange)

3) Boil for 5 mins, brew 1 ltr of tea with hot water and 4 tea bags.

4) Add honey to FV, rinse jar out using the hot tea & add the juice of 1 orange.

5) add the boiled mixture to the FV with 300g of caster sugar (for the more alcohol)

6) add the rest of the orange juice, cranberry & apple juice to the FV with your helper.

7)grate another 3/4 of nut meg and add the other 1/4 (it dropped in as I said I was a little drunk). Also add x2 tea spoons of glycerine

8) leave to cool to around 22 degrees and add yeast.

Today I racked off my xmas cider, I filtered it through a muslin cloth to remove any unwanted spices.

Checked the gravity and was just over 1.00 :twisted:

The first taste of it was surprisingly nice, a little on the bitter side though. might use some stevia sweetener when I come to bottle (taste dependant).

I don't know whether to keep flat or add a little sugar when bottling to make some fizz? what do you's think?

I make my Christmas tc's fizzy 🎅

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back