1st experiment with mead on an impulse....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daurade

Reaction score
I'm a beekeeper and this year I scorched a kilo and a half of honey by overheating it while trying to separate it from the wax. It wasn't any good as honey but I bottled it anyway. Today I got an urge to try making mead, so I boiled the honey up with some water and added the 1.5k to 5l water, which seems okay as a ratio from what I've read. I didn't have any brewer's yeast on hand so I chucked in some baker's yeast. I know this will make the purists cringe but I've read that it works and the results can be okay. I'll let you know what happens. I should have waited but the brewer's supply is a long way from my home and I just couldn't resist! haha

I'm a beekeeper and this year I scorched a kilo and a half of honey by overheating it while trying to separate it from the wax. It wasn't any good as honey but I bottled it anyway. Today I got an urge to try making mead, so I boiled the honey up with some water and added the 1.5k to 5l water, which seems okay as a ratio from what I've read. I didn't have any brewer's yeast on hand so I chucked in some baker's yeast. I know this will make the purists cringe but I've read that it works and the results can be okay. I'll let you know what happens. I should have waited but the brewer's supply is a long way from my home and I just couldn't resist! haha

I think mead made from scorched honey is called Bochet. Hope it turns out well.

Yeah bochet is mead made from caramelised honey. It's on my list to brew as it sounds amazing. As long as it didn't taste burnt you should be fine. Can't remember where I came across it but burnt flavours tend not to age out, think it was someone on here who scorched malt extract in their beer.

Back