R.I.P William Christopher (Father Mulcahy)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
M*A*S*H used to be one of my favourite T.V shows.

William Christopher, who played kind-hearted priest Father Mulcahy in the TV series M*A*S*H, has died at 84.
The actor, who was diagnosed with cancer 18 months ago, died at home in Pasadena, California, on Saturday.
He appeared in all 11 seasons of M*A*S*H, a bittersweet comedy about the life of a US medical unit during the 1950-53 Korean War.
The show ran from 1972-1983. Its finale drew 106 million viewers, a record at the time.
Christopher, who was born in Chicago, moved to New York to work as a theatre actor after college. He later went to California, securing several television roles.
Then in 1972 he was cast in M*A*S*H, a television series that followed a film of the same name.
M*A*S*H stands for Mobile Army Surgical Hospital, and the series centred on a unit, the M*A*S*H 4077, and the lives of the doctors and nurses who staffed it.
Christopher played the camp chaplain, a courteous and compassionate presence who counselled medical staff and patients amid the chaos of the war.
He was one of four cast members who appeared in every season of the show. When it ended, he briefly appeared in a spin-off, After M*A*S*H, with two other cast members, as well as other television work.
Loretta Swit, who played Major Margaret "Hot Lips" Houlihan, said Christopher was perfectly cast in M*A*S*H.
"Everyone adored him,'' she said. "A great sense of humour and a great humanitarian. He became TV's quintessential padre as Father Mulcahy on M*A*S*H."

BBC News.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keuVTGVlf2Q[/ame]

Ironic that a few days after William Christopher died someone posted a "hoax" that "Hotlips" from M*A*S*H (aka Loretta Swit) had also died.

I think I must have a humour gene missing because I can never see anything remotely funny about announcing someone's death; especially when they are still alive! :nono: :nono:

Ironic that a few days after William Christopher died someone posted a "hoax" that "Hotlips" from M*A*S*H (aka Loretta Swit) had also died.

I think I must have a humour gene missing because I can never see anything remotely funny about announcing someone's death; especially when they are still alive! :nono: :nono:

It is a disgusting thing to do, I am guessing people do it to get hits and revenue.. Got to be money behind these sick motives.

Back