How do i make a yeast starter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a wine yeast starter, I put my chosen yeast in a clean, sterilized PET soft drink bottle, about a third full of boiled, cooled water, with a spot of nutrient and a spoonful of sugar. Give it a good shake, unscrew the cap slightly until you can hear it hissing and bung it somewhere warm, preferably overnight. I generally find this produces a nice thick foamy liquid which gives a quicker start to a brew.

:thumb:

Geoff

Cheers yeah i got told it could possibly work for my blackberry and nettle hippy juice that seems to have stalled...how do i go about adding it back into the brew though any ideas??

I use an old old Rosie bottle similar to a small DJ I whittled an bung down and fit an airlock then I use some dme and nutrient for ale starters

So make the starter in a 500ml bottle then add to new DJ along with a small amount of the brew , then once it has started fermenting again add the rest of the brew is that what you mean???

Well there's always one, and I think it's my turn!
I've been brewing, vinting and making since pre 1983 and have never yet made a yeast starter!
Also never ever had a ferment fail to start.
Sorry to upset the paranoia apple cart. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back