Hop 'taster' packs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
From time to time I'll see a forum member say, "I wish someone did small hop amounts/taster packs" and after the fantastic (well I think anyway) Idea outlined in the link from this thread
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=55130
I'm going to put together some hop 'taster' packs to sell on (at cost plus P&P) to forum members. I will be buying10 x 50g packs of varied hops and dividing them up into 10g packs.

I think these hop 'taster' packs will also be perfect if you've contemplating stepping through Darth Clibit's doorway to the darkside too
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51779

As to which varieties of hops I will let forum members decide/make suggestions and choose the 10 different varieties from the most popular suggestions. I will purchase them from our discount partner Geterbrewed (5% discount, kerching!) so only hop suggestions that are stocked on their site please. As per the idea in the link in the aformentioned thread only pellet hops too, please. But that still leaves 47 varieties to choose from:

http://www.geterbrewed.com/hops/

Clibit has put together an extremely helpful hop guide if your not sure which hops to choose

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52909

Each 10g pack will works out to be approx. 0.60p (for hops and packaging) plus postage - which I not sure what that is as the mo.

I'm hoping the schedule will go as follows:

1st-15th Aug. Interested forum members make suggestions as to which hop varieties for me to buy
8th-15th Aug. I am on holiday
16th-22nd Aug Having chosen the most popular suggestions on the 16th Aug I will order 10x50g packs and hopefully they will have arrived by 23th Aug
23rd-27th Aug I will ask, on this thread, interested forum members to PM me their hop orders from the 10 varietes chosen
28th I will send the hop packs out

T&C's
- Paypal payment only please
-UK residents only please
-As there are only a total of 50 hop packs it will be first come first served
-You can choose as many varties as you like but as I'm only getting 50g of each variety you can only have 10g of any one variety to give as many people a chance as possible.
-once you have chosen your varieties, between the 23rd-27th Aug PM me your hop variety order and address I will PM you back my paypal email address
-I expect payment within 48 hours of me sending out the hops on 28th Aug and trust members will not let me down, anyone refusing to pay will no longer be welcome here.
- I will be taking 1g out of every hop variety (so that leaves 49g overall per hop variety, rather than 1g out of every 10g pack) as I would like to try out hop flavours too and am planning some dry hopping of bottles as per the idea in the first link. So some people will recieve 9g rather than 10g of a variety. This will of course be reflected in the price charged (a matter of pennies)

Last edited:
Great offer. I don't use PayPal since my PayPal account was hacked but if we can agree another way to pay I would like to go for...

Falconers Flight
Mosaic
Galaxy
Equinox
Nugget

If it was possible to have 20g of each that would be good but don't wish to mess things up.

I also don't have a Paypal (well actually I do but I won't sign there T/C after I had security issues). I may still be able to pay via Paypal however as I bought a phone this way.

I'd be interested in 5 random hops, not bothered by varieties as I don't know the difference. You can leave me until the end when others have chosen. I'll get the money to you somehow.

Also, do Paypal charge you for the transaction?

Fantastic idea. I have Paypal.
As a new brewer I've used challenger, saaz, citra, East Kent Golding,
So I'd be open to any thing new to me esp for some smash brews that work well!

Now then. this is something id most definitely be interested in. as i primarily brew lager ill be wanting to try hops that is good for lagers. I dont many people will request the same but hay hoe. ill post my selection shortly

Doh!

I can use my wife's Paypal, I think she has it set up OK.

Great idea/ suggestion btw.

I'd be interested in this. I haven't really done much with hops so would be happy with a random assortment but preferably a bit of a range, I.e. hops you would use for different beer styles.

PayPal is no problems and whilst I can see your not doing this to make money I'd have no problem if you wanted to add a bit on over the cost price for your time and effort.

I'd be interested in this. I haven't really done much with hops so would be happy with a random assortment but preferably a bit of a range, I.e. hops you would use for different beer styles.

PayPal is no problems and whilst I can see your not doing this to make money I'd have no problem if you wanted to add a bit on over the cost price for your time and effort.

Go on to the Geterbrewed site and choose some hop suggestions if you'd like a range of hops.Or else everyone will end up with what Clibit has chosen as he's the only one who has posted a list of what hops he'd like.

Clibit has also done a helpful guide on hops if your not sure which hops to choose.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52909

I'm doing this because I thought it' be a fun forum project to do. Plus I also get to try out a range of hops flavours too.

Ah that guide looks handy, shall have a proper browse in the morning and pick a few out.

Cheers!

Right after a bit of a browse (who doesn't like to think about beer with their breakfast? :p) I think I'd like to try;

Fuggles
chinook
cascade
northern brewer
motueka

Nothing to exotic (I don't think anyway! ) As I said earlier I'm just trying to get my head around the differences between them all so if someone really wants to try something specific that's similar to something I've picked I don't mind getting a substitute.

As I said earlier I'm just trying to get my head around the differences between them all

That's the whole point of the taster packs :thumb:

I'm starting to get an idea of the sort of varieties people want.

Anyone else want to join in? Just go onto the geterbrewed website and list the hops you'd like.

http://www.geterbrewed.com/hops/

"Roll up, Roll up! Git yer 'ops 'ere!"

OK, so heres what id be interested in trying.

Tettnang 2013. ( used both for ales and lagers ;) )

Celcia (Styrian Goldings)

East Kent Goldings

thats all for me

Great idea, I'd like to try simcoe, amarillo, nelson sauvin, summit and mosaic.

I like hoppy ipa's but have only used chinook, it'll be great to compare some different ones :thumb:

what a great idea i would be well up for this i asked when i first came on the forum if anywhere done a "starter pack" for new darkside brewers....i fancy simcoe ,saaz ,citra,summit and motueka but like most of the previous posters very happy to try any different hops...well done m8 cheers lagerlad

Back