Is my brewery yeast too old?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcarm

Regular.
Reaction score
I got some yeast from the local brewery near the end of July, it has been in the fridge since then and I have about 200ml. It has been stored under beer in a sealed jar.

Will this be ok to use for my next brew this weekend? I have some DME that I can make a starter with, although I have never made a starter before but have read plenty about it.

the alternative is going to the LHBS tomorrow to pick up some dried, either GV12 or S04, not decided yet, but if I can use the brewery yeast that would be preferable.

Should I make a starter tomorrow and see how it performs or just ditch it and get the dried?

Should I make a starter tomorrow and see how it performs

sounds like a plan to me.. once warm and provided with a 1.040 dme solution to feed it you should see signs of life within 24 hours of pitching.. :thumb:

Thanks, I suppose I've nothing to lose by making a starter apart from a few grams of DME.

Yes a starter is a good idea. It's probably fine, a starter will prove it either way, and strengthen the yeast.

Latest posts

Back