Any use for spent grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just reading around I saw an 1842 recipe for poitin (pocheen?) which uses grain that has not been malted. I think therefore it would be all starch - so has little sugar left to ferment, - a similar situation to our spent grains. They seem to use an addition of an enzyme to break the starch down so it can be fermented. It may be possible to do this but what the flavour would be is up to guesswork :-? Doesn't matter to them as they distill it, but may be good for something, a low alcohol drink or addition to another brew.

Just took my first attempt at spent grain baking out t'oven. No Knead recipe with grains from yesterday's pale ale brew. Looks OK (from my amateur pov), taps hollow but suggests a well thrown slice could ground a swan

mWTj9tK.jpg

Just took my first attempt at spent grain baking out t'oven. No Knead recipe with grains from yesterday's pale ale brew. Looks OK (from my amateur pov), taps hollow but suggests a well thrown slice could ground a swan

mWTj9tK.jpg

Nice one! I make no knead when i can be bothered. Great bread and yours looks awesome! Will definitely make some tomorrow when i brew. :)

Latest posts

Back