Yeast swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have...

Wyeast 1968 (London ESB),
WLP007 (Dry English)
Wyeast 3711 (French Saison)
Wyeast 2278 (Czech Pilsner)

I am keen to build up a yeast bank, so if anyone has an old batch of yeast lying around that they want to be regrown from scratch. I would be happy to do it.

Here is one I grew on a petri dish from a 7 mth old sample of Wyeast 1968 I kept in the fridge, (apparantly the white stuff is the yeast and the mocha stuff is trub)... Its going in a Brew tomorrow.

Paul

IMG_0264.JPG

Happy to start off and offer a Vermont swap MyQul, I'd love to try the porter & I've been looking for a replacement for MJ West Coast and been undecided between the WLP001 & the san diego super yeast. Do you find the WLP001 sticks the bottom of bottles OK ? (my main complaint with the MJ).
Either way happy to swap, but I know you're not a fan of hoppy beers. I can only offer either;

Strong & hoppy
or
Very strong & very hoppy
or
one of my starter bottles

:cheers:

I'll take a strong and hoppy (quite the opposite of what I normally make weakish and malty/not hoppy :D)
It's OK but definatly not that floccuant as I'd like. I always chill beers made with this yeast for at least 12 hours if not 24 to crash it, else I get a stomach ache from yeast in suspension. It's very clean though and the malts in the porter shine through. I tried a bottle earlier this eve. Even the late hops come through and there's hardly any in their (I fermented the porter at 20C btw)

I've also got a pack of Wyeast French Saison 3711 on the way, will probably be ready to swap some in a month or so.

I've also got a pack of Wyeast French Saison 3711 on the way, will probably be ready to swap some in a month or so.

Some say this is a little lacking in flavour compared to other saison yeast but I love it, one of my favourites. It eats through everything, don't put your hand too close to the fv!

GEB were out of that yeast so instead I'm getting a WLP566. After fermentation I'll harvest the yeast and can put some in a jar to send. That will be a few weeks though.

I get to keep my hands after all!

I have some 1450 Denny's Favorite 50 yeast that I can swap, I am looking for a yeast that is good in a Guinness type stout
The 1450 yeast is clean tasting and is a go to yeast in the USA for there IPA's, it brings out the malty and hoppy tastes of a beer, it also gives the beer mouth feel, it is a all round yeast but can be slow to flocculate so some patience maybe be needed to get crystal clear beer
If anyone is interested I have a few jars that I have just washed this weekend and can vac pack them for postage

Back