US-05 - Problems?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabby

Regular.
Reaction score
Anybody else get a 'twang' with US-05?

My last two AG have been with US-05 (Kolsch and Blonde) and both have a certain taste, the same as each other.

Did a hobgoblin clone with a Burtons Ale Yeasts and thats perfect, so I think it might be the yeast (US-05).

Anybody any pointers? Or should I just brew the same again but with a different yeast?

US-05 is my yeast to go, I've never any trouble with it.

Are you maybe drinking the beer too young?

US05 is about the cleanest yeast you can get, there shouldn't be any twang from it, especially if fermented cool as a kolsch should be. Kolsch and blonde can be quite similar, how different were the recipes?

I've read at the top end of its temp range (and weirdly enough) at the bottom end of it's temp range it can give peachy flavours. So I bought WLP001 as although its supposed to be a very similar (the chico) strain it doesnt give these flavour and I found this to be true as the couple of times I've used it, it was very clean.

What temp di you ferment you kolsch and blonde at?

16 for the Kolsch. 18 for the Blonde.

I'll check out the grain bills and see how similar they were. Might just be me. lol

LOL.

Just realised they both used the same bittering hops (Hallertau).

Think that might be the taste.

Latest posts

Back