Nelson Sauvin Hops.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just got me two packs of these bad boys, 2016 harvest too!
Has anyone used them, I need some advice on getting the best out of them.
They were from the Malt Miller.

I've never used them (although I did get them form my hop taster pack thingy a year or so ago) But I think they're named so because the flavour is supposed to be reminicent of sauvignon blanc grapes/wine. So perhaps best used in some sort of pale ale

I've used them a few times and they do have a distinctive but very nice fruity/grapey/white-winey aroma/flavour.
I tend to use them fairly sparingly as they can overpower other hops.

My next brew is going to be light pale ale with NZ Cascade & Nelson in a ratio of 5:1 for the late & dry hop additions, which I hope will make the Nelson noticeable but not too full on.
:cheers:

Be very careful with them. If you overdo it you can get an ash like taste. It's a proper mental hop used sparingly with the right complimentary hops. And I've turned out some awesome beers with them. Just a bit expensive at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you're lucky to get whole hops - i could only get them in pellet form. I'm using them today in a 5am Saint clone i'm making. As Hoddy says, they are fairly strong and tropical flavoured

Thanks guys.
I bought two packs so first up in going to make a Nelson and Cascade pale. After that's fermented I'll pitch an AIPA onto the cake made from Nelson and Citra.
They seem to be the most common combos, and I bloody love cascade, so I'll try them.

I'd save them till the end, considering how pricey they are, to get the most from them.
I'll be adding mine @ 5mins, steep & dry hopping stages.

I've had two beers brewed with nelson sauvin, cascade and saaz, both were gorgeous, one was curious brew and t'other, whose name escapes me, was from a beer tent at a steam rally.

Latest posts

Back