Complete Newbie from Grimsby

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrimsbyR

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

As the title says I'm a complete newbie in the beer brewing world from Grimsby, looking for help and advice on starting up. I'm wanting to start brewing English mild, used to drink it years ago but ended up a lager lout (only joking about the lout) and want to start brewing my own to enjoy on cold evenings by the fire (must be getting old!) and for taking on the continent so suggestions on transportation by car over long distances would be helpful. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and if there's anyone local please say hi.

All the best

Kerry

welcome... its a great hobby whether brewing form kits, extract or all grain. Longest distance I've taken (bottled) beer is about 400 miles car-ferry-car to France...with no problems. I wouldn't leave it in the car for too much time if temperatures were in the high 20's 30's though.

Thanks for the welcome and the travel tips. I'll get my head around all the basics first, read plenty on here and watch some Youtube vids! I'm guessing get a beginners start up kit first and then progress?

Thanks for the welcome and the travel tips. I'll get my head around all the basics first, read plenty on here and watch some Youtube vids! I'm guessing get a beginners start up kit first and then progress?
Try this
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

Grimsby is blessed with a local home brew shop (LHBS) http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/ so it might be worth paying them a visit.

Finally this time of year it is important that you have a place warm enough to brew your beer, i.e in the range 18-21*C. If you can't achieve that, there are ways of heating your FV, so just ask the Forum.

Thanks terrym, a great beginners guide. I'd just spoken to the wife about the LHBS in Grimsby, I'll definitely pay them a visit and I'm sure they'll help with advice for starting with their kits. Any recommendations for a good beginners kit for mild? Especially if any of you have tried the kits from the Grimsby shop. Thanks again all.

Thanks terrym, a great beginners guide. I'd just spoken to the wife about the LHBS in Grimsby, I'll definitely pay them a visit and I'm sure they'll help with advice for starting with their kits. Any recommendations for a good beginners kit for mild? Especially if any of you have tried the kits from the Grimsby shop. Thanks again all.
Mild is not one of the beers that home brewers tend to brew. You are spoilt for choice for recipes and kits for lagers, pilsner, bitters, stouts and porters, but not mild. :-(
Talk to your Grimsby LHBS about what you want to do. And if they cant sell you a mild kit of some sort, Tesco Direct have a Geordie Mild kit in their sale.

Looking through everything I can see mild isn't that popular. I'll have a chat in the shop and could always try a Geordie Mild, for £8.75 it isn't too much of a loss if I make a pigs ear of it!

Hi Everyone

As the title says I'm a complete newbie in the beer brewing world from Grimsby, looking for help and advice on starting up. I'm wanting to start brewing English mild, used to drink it years ago but ended up a lager lout (only joking about the lout) and want to start brewing my own to enjoy on cold evenings by the fire (must be getting old!) and for taking on the continent so suggestions on transportation by car over long distances would be helpful. Any tips would be greatly appreciated and if there's anyone local please say hi.

All the best

Kerry

Welcome to the forum!

(From another relative newbie!)

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb: :thumb:

If Skegness is "local" then a double welcome!

I took +/-70 litres of beer to France in September in two x 23 litre kegs and 5 x 5 litre MKs.

The King Keg Top-Tap is a good way of transporting beer in bulk. The beer comes from a floating take-off and is therefore a lot clearer a lot quicker after the keg has been moved. Luckily, I had time to let the other beer clear before it needed drinking.

With regard your "What to brew?" question I suggest that you have a natter with Grimsby Home Brew (250 Freeman Street). They are my main provider for brewing stuff and they have a wide variety of extract kits. :thumb:

They also have some great Fulstow AG Kits when you get round to AG brewing ... :thumb: :thumb:

... and also sell grains when you start making up your own AG recipes. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Brewing is as addictive as drinking the end product! :whistle:

Thanks again all for your welcomes and tips. I was going to pop to Grimsby Home Brew next week but the wife has told me not to go buying anything yet so I guess that's Christmas prezzies sorted for some lol.

Thanks Dutto for the tips on transportation, I'd call Skegness local :thumb: , it's Italy where some of the beer might be going. What's set me off is I've started drinking alternatives to lager when in the UK then I visited this place http://birraalmond.com/ and tried a few of their beers, this place has also just started near us http://www.birrabertona.it/en/ but I haven't been yet. I've got plenty of time on my hands at the moment so thought I'd give it a go.

If you have time on your hands, dive straight in!

Don't worry about "don't buy anything" it's an empty threat! :whistle: :whistle:

Look at it this way ... :arrow: :arrow:

... SWMBO will have to choose one day so it may as well be sooner than later ... :arrow: :arrow:

... and if the worst happens at least you will have a hobby AND all the brewing gear ... :arrow: :arrow:

... not to mention the wherewithal to drown any sorrows you may have!! :thumb: :thumb:

I think that's called a "Win-Win" situation! :whistle:

lol, yes I'm going to pop and have a look next week. She was just hinting that family 'might' have bought me some equipment that I'd mentioned already for xmas, I'm just going to have to ask what as I want to get cracking on with it.

lol, yes I'm going to pop and have a look next week. She was just hinting that family 'might' have bought me some equipment that I'd mentioned already for xmas, I'm just going to have to ask what as I want to get cracking on with it.

Ouch! Big dilemma! You have my sympathies. :doh: :doh:

I've never gone much on "surprises" on the basis that they have often been not what I wanted or needed. (Wife using my Remy Martin Champagne Cognac to set fire to crepe suzettes is one "surprise" that springs to mind!)

I suggest that you approach the subject with extreme care and remember the advice an old man gave to me just before I got married:

If you ever argue with the wife, keep an eye on the clock and shut up at five o'clock.
Otherwise, that night, you will be in bed looking at the wife's back and thinking
"I wish I had shut up at five o'clock!"​

Best of luck! :thumb: :thumb:

Hi!
Patience is the brewer's most important tool.
Wait to see what Santa's brought and get stuck in then.
Have you got a place sorted out for your FV to stand during fermentation? Perhaps you could concentrate on getting that ready now.
I sympathise with you, however - it's the thought of getting KIT!

Cheers Bigcol49, your right. I've just ordered the book 'Brew' by James Morton after seeing it recommended on here so that will give me something to do while waiting for Santa. The place I've earmarked for my FV is full of presents at the minute too so probably easier just to wait, though you know what we're like for 'new kit' boys toys etc.

Hi Everyone

All the best

Kerry

Hi kerry
Welcome im kind of complete newbie also from sunny GY used to dabble 20-30 years ago :thumb:

Latest posts

Back