Hello All

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shepp

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi my name is Andy and I have done a fair bit of country wine making and kit brewing over the years.
I was never really satisfied with kit brewing results and I decided that I would leave the hobby and return when I had the time to do all grain brewing.
This summer I took on an allotment as well as changing jobs which is less consuming of my time and energy. Looking around at other allotment plots, I noticed a lot of apple trees with unpicked fruit. So I knocked up a cider press using 4x2 , 8mm stud and an old car jack and pressed 7 gallons of cider.
So I went on various forums to look at how to do the above, plus what yeast to use, I used ale and cider yeast.
At that point I started looking at beer again and the Grainfather caught my eye, due to it's small footprint and ease of use. I am more intered in beer recipies and flavours than I am in kit.
So a few weeks back I invested in one and made my first London Bitter all grain brew. My efficiency was a bit low but out of the fermenter it tasted pretty good and is now in bottles conditioning.
I have four all grain kits made up by Malt Miller in a sealed bucket, which I plan to do each month from now onwards.

Left Hand Milk Stout
Ghost Ship Clone
GEM Ale Clone
Summer Saison

Each is a 12 litre kit.

I am using bottles only, as I like to vary the beers I drink all the time, so I like a selection.
I will brew the milk stout on monday, so today I have decided to try and absorbe as much knowledge as I can for treating my water. I am pleased to see you have an excellent beginers guide pinned on here and it's given me more understanding in a few lines, than hours of searching via google. It's so difficult trying to filter out the less important factors, that the beginer can do without, at the start of his learning.

Happy Brewing New Year To You All :drunk:

Hi and good luck with your brewing. I have a couple of apple trees here too and fancy a go at pressing them next year. Did your cider turn out well?

Happy New Year!

Hi and good luck with your brewing. I have a couple of apple trees here too and fancy a go at pressing them next year. Did your cider turn out well?

Happy New Year!

So far it tastes good, I put the cider into secondary fermenters and will leave it there until spring. Cider also goes through a second malo-lactic fermentatio, which reduces it's percieved acidity.
Other than the labour intensive picking and pressing, it's a lot easier than all grain beer making as you have no worries about water profile and cider is not as susceptible to infection.

Good information here

http://www.cider.org.uk/frameset.htm

Latest posts

Back